cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Emac Apple Connection Issues

Flowery

Old Emac Apple Connection Issues

I have an old Emac Mackintosh, and an airport connection.  Whilst it is easy to connect on a Windows computer to the new Fibre Broadband, I am having real issues trying to get the Emac to connect. It appears to identify the fibre broadband and the airport connects, as I can see the power of the Broadband connection, however I cannot view web pages on Safari or Internet Explorer, and I cannot access emails either. There is a step I am missing which is required on Apple Macs and not Windows.

I have been trying to look at connection types, but each one I try does not seem to fix the issue. Any help would be great! 😊

4 REPLIES 4
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Old Emac Apple Connection Issues

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Tech Help

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

You could try splitting the 2.4 and 5GHz wifi bands, it helps with newer Apple products and I'm pretty sure the emac won't support 5GHz

Navigate in a web browser to 192.168.1.254.

Click Advanced Settings

Enter your Hub admin password when prompted (unless you've changed it, you'll find the default password on the settings card)
Continue to Advanced Settings.
Click on Wireless.
Click 5GHz tab.
Change 'Sync with 2.4Ghz' to No.
Change the name of the 'Wireless SSID' - I added a '_5' on the end.
Save the changes.

You can then select which one you want per device.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw, if the emac has an ethernet port, have you checked whether it can access the internet when direct wired to the Plusnet hub with an ethernet cable to check it is not a software issue such as 'out of date' web browsers?

How old is the emac (2002-2005) and is it running the last version of mac os x ?  (2009 Leopard according to wikipedia)

If the emac works with ethernet but not with wifi, the only immediate thought is whether the emac supports WPA2 wifi security.  Try downgrading to WPA or even WEP security.  I do NOT recommend using WEP security as it is easily hacked.

4plusnet.jpg

If the emac works on ethernet but it is normally in a different room to the Hub One, you could try a pair of powerline adapters if you don't wish to install a long ethernet cable through walls etc. Normally about 25 quid for a pair of TPlinks from Argos/Amazon etc.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Flowery

Thank you both,

I will try these fixes and come back to you.