Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Office 2003 install mucked up by Office 365

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Office 2003 install mucked up by Office 365

A bit of history

My new laptop with Win 10 came with Office 365 trial which I ignore and installed Office 2003 with Office 365 uninstalled later

Subsequently something glitched so needed to run the repair option but to my surprise this also reinstalled part of Office 365 which mucked up the Office 2003 install so I needed to uninstall Office 365 and then let Office 2003 recreate the required dll's

So my question is where are the repair files stored and if I delete them would a repair option then need the CD to sort and would that fix the unwanted Office 365 part and also retain the existing licence

7 REPLIES 7
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Office 2003 install mucked up by Office 365

I assume it will repair from the original CD installation disc.

A recent W7 update (Thursday) seemed to have borked my Office 2007 Outlook installation. Clicking on the Setup.exe file offered the chance to repair using the original CD. Unfortunately the CD rewriter on this PC doesn't work. Fortunately I had Outlook 2007 installed on my W10 laptop and I just copied across the relevent files to the correct directory as inform by the original error message and all was well.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Running two versions of Office simultaneously is a recipe for problems.  It's always best to remove any free-trial versions before installing an older version of Office.

By the way @Mav, if two computer are on the same network you can get them to share a CD/DVD drive.   

Mav

@ReedRichards

I have a 'new' DVD re-writer to place in the PC but having had it sitting on the shelf for a couple of years I can't see me getting round to inserting it any time soonCheesy

So I would be interested in how to share the laptop's DVD drive. Both on the same home network (W7 and W10). Up to now I have simply been copying files from the laptop's drive to a public folder then moving them top the PC.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I guess first thing to try (if you've not done so already), is to uninstall both and try a new install of 2003. A good question of what one to do first - I would chance 365 first followed by 2003. Then put back on 2003.

@Mav - you may be able to use the hidden $ share perhaps. So assuming you're on the PC you want to access it from, use the PC name of the one where it is. Assuming it is say called MavsPC and the drive is E (change this of course where needed!), you could type the following into Start->Run?

\\mavspc\e$

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

It's years since i set-up optical drive sharing for a client but it was still working last time I visited.  Try the instructions here: https://www.howtogeek.com/114254/how-to-share-cd-dvd-drives-over-the-network-on-windows/

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Link fixed.

Mav

@ReedRichards and @Alex

Thanks. I will look into those options later but I rarely use the DVD drive anyway. I may just insert the new drive soon as my PC does need a bit of a clean up and I have 240GB SSD (bought the same time as the DVD drive) to insert as well.

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

@Mav wrote:

So I would be interested in how to share the laptop's DVD drive. Both on the same home network (W7 and W10). Up to now I have simply been copying files from the laptop's drive to a public folder then moving them top the PC.

in W7 it's as simple as right-clicking on the drive and choosing "share".