cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Office 2003 Pro Installation Problem

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Office 2003 Pro Installation Problem

I've just bought a brand new OEM-version Microsoft Office Pro 2003 CD. My wife wanted 2003 rather than 2007 so she could work on Word or Excel files at work or at home, and her work pc has 2003 on it.
Trouble is I cant persuade the CD to install on her laptop. I've tried on my desktop too just to see if it was the laptop causing the problem. I get different complaints depending on which of the machines I'm trying to install it on. Both pcs have Win XP on, although her laptop comes up with soming about Media Centre (or something). Both pcs have plenty of disk space, memory, processor speed.
The complaint my wife's laptop comes up with are about "setup.exe" not being a valid Win32 application.
Anyone got any suggestions please.
Thanks in advance
11 REPLIES 11
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Office 2003 Pro Installation Problem

Try coping the files from the CD to that hard disk and running it.
Where did your purchase it from?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Njal
Grafter

See:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.office.setup&...
"You are not entitled to install Office 2003 Pro OEM on any computer other than the one it came with."
"A number of anti-virus packages interfere with the installation process."
"now know it is the Microsoft media causing the problem, something to do with their newer disks"
May be some clues in there somewhere!
Regards,
Neil
Njal
Grafter

Unlikely, I know:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298218
"This behavior can occur if the program you are trying to install uses a 16-bit Install.exe or Setup.exe file. Windows XP for 64-bit platforms does not support 16-bit programs."
Regards,
Neil
Denzil
Grafter

Not a direct answer, I know, but if you can reject it as being faulty you could save the money and install <a href="http://www.openoffice.org/">OpenOffice</a> for free. It will handle DOC and XLS files.
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thanks fellas. I haven't tried Adiewoo's suggestion yet, but the first of Njal's replies is what I get if I try to load this CD on my wife's laptop, and his second reply is what I get if I try to load the CD on my desktop. The trouble with this latter is my desktop doesn't have XP for 64-bit platforms (as far as I know - how can I find out for certain?).
I will try Adiewoo's suggestion later today. Will let you know the result
Njal
Grafter

Start - Settings - Control Panel - System - 'General' Tab
will tell you what version of Windows you're running.
Regards,
Neil
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Latest update is that I have tried copying the disk onto a memory stick so that I could move the copy from machine to machine (I only want it on one machine, but that is something else). The copy would take 20 minutes or more and then fail with one or other file complaining about cyclic redundancy check. I even had that when trying to copy one file only.
Something I have noticed - the CD doesn't seem to want to get up to speed (data disk speed as against audio disk speed). It tries a couple of times then just seems to run at audio CD speed (I'm judging this on what I can hear from the CD drive).
I have contacted the supplier, and hopefully he can find a solution. What that would be if the first of Njal's suggestions proves to be correct - the bit about Microsoft CDs running on some drives but not on others) will be a "good 'un".
Will be in touch
dvorak

Sounds like it is a duff disk and needs replacing.
Customer / Moderator
Njal
Grafter

Just a thought. Have you tried copying the installation disk to another CD and installing from the backup copy instead? If you can't get it onto a memory stick this probably won't work either, but it may be worth a try.
Office 2003 will install from a copy of the original disk.
Which file is causing trouble, if it's only one file and small enough I might be able to email a copy.
Regards,
Neil
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thanks to you both. I've contacted the supplier, and agreed a refund. Only 70% but its better than nothing.
Regards
dvorak

If you could prove it was a faulty cd surely they'd have to give you it all back?
Customer / Moderator