Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off peak usage?

Bix
Dabbler

Off peak usage?

Hello,

I was wondering why my off peak usage is so high when all my computers, phones, etc. are switched off every night?

I do leave on the hub but nothing is using any wi-fi whatsoever.

Any help appreciated.

Thank you,

Bix.

This month you've used

79.99GB

(78.24GB during peak hours 
1.75GB during off-peak hours)

11 REPLIES 11
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Off peak usage?

@Bix wrote:

I was wondering why my off peak usage is so high when all my computers, phones, etc. are switched off every night?

When you say 'off' do you mean actually switched off and not on standby. I have noticed that Ipads and my Amazon Fire TV, as examples chatter away during the night whilst the household is fast asleep. Check that everything is fully shut down and see whether it makes a difference. There will always be some 'keep alive' usage, but not this much without something being connected.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Bix
Dabbler

Hello Baldrick1,  thank you for your reply.

In answer, I switch off my PC, laptops and tablet using "Power Off" and my phones are not connected to wi-fi, I switch them onto Flight Mode at nights anyway.  In fact, I hardly ever use wi-fi on the phones anyway.  I leave the router switched on, of course, but that is all.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

From memory off peak is midnight to 8 AM.

I suspect most off peak usage will occur in the lead up to 8AM.

Bix
Dabbler

Hello RichardB,  I can assure you that I am seldom up before 8.30-9 am., Smiley and so it can't be that.  Also, I switch everything off by 10.30pm.  I much prefer to read in peace at nights.

Thank you.

Baldrick1

Have you tried switching off the router WiFi at night to see what happens?

My other thought is do you use any Powerline Ethernet units? It’s not been unknown for neighbours units to accidentally connect to the wrong router due to inadequacies in their default security settings.

Moderator and Customer

Bix
Dabbler

Hello Baldrick!,  I have not tried switching off router but shall give it a go for a while and then check usage,  No, I don't use any Powerline Ethernet units - I had to look it up.  I am an elderly lady and, although I'm pretty good for a silver surfer, I am by no means an expert.  Smiley  There are a couple of ''expert'' IT workers nearby, however, and one once boasted of being a hacker, so who knows?  They won't find much on any of my computers.  Thank s again.

Baldrick1

Just to clarify, I did not suggest turning off the router, just the wifi. To do this you log into the router by entering 192.168.1 254 into the address field (not a search field) on your internet browser. There go into the advanced features on your router, you will need to enter the admin password, which you will find on a label on the router. There select wifi and you will find a field where you can turn the wifi on or off. If you have a Hub One router then turn off both frequencies.

Moderator and Customer

Bix
Dabbler

Mon 26             Total
Peak 0KB             0KB
Off-peak 79.2MB             79.2MB
Total 79.2MB             79.2MB

Hello Baldrick1.  I  did as you suggested and this is what has come up this morning when I switched it back on and checked my emails.  Makes no sense to me.

Thanks anyway.

Bix
Dabbler

Off-Peak usage (Midnight - 8am)

This week in detail

Off-Peak usage (Midnight - 8am)

This week in detail

Tue 27 Wed 28 Thu 29 Fri 30 Sat 01 Sun 02 Total
Peak   0KB - - - - - 0KB
Off-peak   55.35MB - - - - - 55.35MB
Total   55.35MB - - - - - 55.35MB

this is this morning.  I have been switching ff wi-fi each night.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Bix

Do you have any Smart TVs or TV streaming or recording devices connected which may be accessing t'Internet?

Bix
Dabbler

Hello RobPN, No, I don't have a smart TV.  I only have an oldish tv in the bedroom which I use to watch movies,etc., via Chromecast. I also have CCTV but, if the wi-fi is switched off altogether, how can they be working overnight?  I have decided not to bother as I need my cctvs on during the night so shall just have to put it down to Plusnet's inabilty to get their data correct - they do say this on the usage page of Broadband.  Thank you all for your help.  Bix.