Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd peculiar questions,

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Odd peculiar questions,

Maybe I should know by now, but with shrinking grey matter have forgotten the answers, or should know then any way!Roll_eyesShocked here goes!

Plusnet has, IIRC, 4 public DNS servers, and on joining two are allocated. Are there any effects from using ones not allocated you?

Why do different modem  routers produce different connection rates on the same line, given that the line is the same?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
5 REPLIES 5
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Odd peculiar questions,

Possibly the modem A-D decoders are more cunningly effective in some modems?

I only use Plusnet DNS as a last-straw DNS address - and I use a DNS cache on my PC. Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

22over7
Rising Star

@Luzern, there's a program called "namebench" that you can google for, written originally by google, that will compare various name servers for their responsiveness, based on names in your browser cache. It recommends some DNS servers for you, that in my experience are rarely google's.

Having just googled "namebench", I'd advise steering away from "softonics" websites to get it from, for no other reason than they ring a nasty, though distant, bell in my mind.

There may be other such programs around, but I've no experience of them. 

You can set DNS servers on individual computers, or as a default on your router.

As for why different routers achieve different connection rates, that's down to the chips in your router, and the hardware on the other end of your copper line, among other things. I luckily get a quite good connection/(sync) rate because, apparently, I'm connected to a Huawei FTTC dslam, and have a Zyxel VMG1312-B10A modem, that has a Broadcom chip that matches nicely with the Huawei dslam I'm connected to.  It's a fairly nerdy topic, I'm afraid.  You can lose a fair bit of life by fretting too much about a few megabit/sec, I can assure you.

22over7
Rising Star

Sorry! I should have reviewed my post. The issue about connection speed is about your *modem* that may (or may not) be built into your *router*.  Handling broadband is modem business, distributing it around yer gaff is yer router's. Very often, they are (in) the same box.

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

@22over7 I am aware of something like namebench, thanks, but my question was not about the use of other DNS servers, I was about using PN severs other than those allocated you.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

The PN DNS addresses don't point to single machines anyway - everything goes via a load balancer front-end which complicates matters. I suggest you choose your own DNS anyway.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."