cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd W7 Explorer behaviour

Mav
Fixes: 515

Odd W7 Explorer behaviour

W7 Pro 64bit 16GB RAM. No recent updates or installations.
The following happens occasionally and I've never found a cause or simple solution.
Basically creating/renaming a folder, renaming a file or deleting/copying files does not show within explorer until I click the refresh icon or select Refresh from the menu. Sometimes after creating a new folder  and doing a refresh I can see the new folder but a different folder is highlighted ready to be edited.
I've tried turning Aero off to no avail. Indexing for all drives is off and I have the latest video drivers installed.
Eventually I reboot as it is irritating as well as a nuisance and, as I said above, I've never found the cause or other solution.
The following links link1 and link 2 offer some insight but each suggests making changes then rebooting but the issue always disappears after a reboot anyway and may not come back for weeks or even months.
Has anyone else come across this?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

10 REPLIES 10
thejudge
Rising Star

Re: Odd W7 Explorer behaviour

I've seen something very similar (W7 Pro 64-bit, 8GB RAM), but only intermittently.
I wonder if MS think we're nostalgic for the days of W98, when a large amount of file moving caused Explorer eventually to hang?  Roll_eyes
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

What about the "cut and run" bug?  If you use the cut or copy buttons under 'Organize' these will actually open the file.  Fortunately, this does not happen if you select these options from the right-click menu. 
This bug is not present initially but manifests after a period of use.  It always manifest for me, perhaps associated with my preference for showing extensions for known file types, hidden files and system files by changing the Windows default options? 
Mav

@ReedRichards
You're on to something there. I use CTRL-E then CTRL-V to move files around. I also have a preference for showing hidden files and file extensions.
The reason I use the keyboard short-cuts is because I then have to rename the folder and prefer to either use keyboard or mouse but not both during the same procedure. I also find using the keyboard a lot quicker. I may try  using the mouse to perform the move actions for a while and see what difference it makes.
I have tried a Google search for Cut and Run under W7 54 bit but haven't found much. Do you have any links for further details?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Look here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a3213b72-b889-4bcc-b88d-3ced6ec3520e/cut-and-run-bu... .  This is a very early report so possibly the name "cut and run" did not catch on.  I cannot duplicate the problem on my W7 computer now but I'm pretty sure I do still encounter it from time to time.
WTF
Grafter

Are the problems occuring when you're pasting into directories with a large number of files?
Windows Explorer can be extremely slow to refresh when the are lots of files.
Mav

No. It doesn't matter whether I'm copying/moving 1 or 1000 it's still the same.
Since the last reboot over 4 days ago it hasn't happened but, then again, it could be weeks or months before it does  Huh

WTF
Grafter

Sounds like a free memory issue, then.
Next time, use Task Manager (right click on the background of the taskbar at the bottom of the screen and select Start Task Manager) to check what's using the memory - in the Processes tab, click on Memory to sort from max to min (may require 2 clicks).
The problem's usually a browser: close and re-open the browser and it'll probably reduce the memory usage significantly and fix the problem - switch to the Performance tab in Task Manager to see the difference in the Physical Memory Usage History graph.
Have to say, my laptop hardly ever goes more than a month without a reboot as the patch Tuesday updates almost always require a restart Wink
Mav

As I've mentioned in other threads that I do have an issue with memory and FF. Currently it's using 2GB but I have seen it get close to 3GB. Frequently when FF memory usage gets higher than around 1.7GB things can seem to feel a bit sluggish but, as yet, I've not noticed a link between the Explorer issue and FF.
I have quit FF when I've had the Explorer issue (usually using End Process Tree as that guarantees all tabs will re-open) but it hasn't changed the behaviour back to how it should be.

WTF
Grafter

I've noticed FF can be a bit of a hog.  And that kinda memory usage can cause problems - before my work machine was upgraded to Win7, it would grind to an almost complete halt when IE got up to around 1GB.
Could be something else is using a lot of memory, of course.  Or maybe even CPU or I/O.  When AVG is running a scheduled scan, my machine really struggles until I set priority to basic / minimum.
Try playing with the sorts in Task Manager.
Mav

The only other two things that can occasionally take up a fair bit of memory are javaw.exe (used by JDownloader) and audiodg.exe but neither tend to go much above half a GB (currently 540MB and 470MB respectively). Generally, with 16GB RAM I don't usually have memory issues except with FF