Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd Laptop behaviour...Fixed.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Odd Laptop behaviour...Fixed.

I have a laptop with Ubuntu installed, lid close and shut down with a 92% charge in the battery.
I open the lid....ok it's still off.
I don't press anything but plug in it's power supply.....ok the laptop is still off.
I switch on the power supply at the mains socket and the laptop starts up Huh
Last time the laptop was used it was shut down normally, no hibernation or stuff like that.
Is there some setting I've missed.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
13 REPLIES 13
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Odd Laptop behaviour

Never seen that issue before. The only options normally are to do with the lid, what to do when you close it etc.
It shouldn't startup when plugged in only. Might be hardware related.
Strat
Community Veteran

I might add that this behaviour started when I installed Ubuntu a few weeks ago but that, of course could be a coincidence.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Ahh, well as you know I am NOT an Ubuntu user so can't comment on that.  Wink
minkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I would check your BIOS settings, as on my Dell Desktop there is a power management setting which will turn on my PC if has power (like turning it on at the wall) I think it was called something like 'wake on power'. I'm not at my PC so can't check the exact name.
Strat
Community Veteran

I went into the laptop's limited BIOS and could see no problems.
I changed the boot order as the HD was down at number 6 below the USB ports. I reset it to number 2 below the CD drive.
Apart from that I changed nothing else, just doing a save and close.
It has fixed the problem Undecided
I then came back downstairs to my PC and read minkey's new post....great minds etc...
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Odd Laptop behaviour - Fixed.

I have a similar problem with my netbook - I shut it down and if the cat5 cable is plugged in, something on the network wakes the damn thing back up again. WOL is disabled in the bios but it still wakes up when it hears even the slightest bit of traffic on the network - totally opposite of how WOL is supposed to work too!
Can't use wifi at the moment so I'm stuck with having to remember to pull the plug..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro

check in the adaptor settings to make sure magic pattern is disabled, and possibly in the bios as well (depending on age of laptop)
I found having boot from LAN disabled was required as well to stop mine (old Toshiba laptop) from randomly booting whenever the router sent an ack request to its ip address .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Strat
Community Veteran

The laptop I am having the issue with (yes...it's not fixed as I thought) is not on a wired network but is wireless.
BIOS still checks out ok and WOL is disabled.
minkey
Rising Star

There are some posts on other sites which indicate your CMOS battery may need replacing.
Not sure why that would mean your laptop would turn on though?
https://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8279
Strat
Community Veteran

Excellent suggestion minkey and I'll check that out when I have a chance because it sounds very plausible. Smiley
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: nanotm
I found having boot from LAN disabled was required as well to stop mine (old Toshiba laptop) from randomly booting whenever the router sent an ack request to its ip address .....

Yes my netbook is a toshiba too and you saying that just confirms my suspicions - it's a toshiba thing. Like I said, I have to pull the plug everytime I shutdown or hibernate.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: minkey
There are some posts on other sites which indicate your CMOS battery may need replacing.
Not sure why that would mean your laptop would turn on though?
https://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8279

if the cmos battery is low some of the old ami bios's original code was to boot the machine with a warning message that your battery was knackered (we had loads of pc's that did this at work) but not perform a full boot, a bios update removed the message so the machine would just do a full boot, mainly a problem with the older rechargeable cmos batteries (haven't seen one like tat in almost a decade) once the cmos battery was fully charged it shouldn't happen so its possible /probable an old subroutine is triggering an instant reboot when a new cmos battery is required .....
@7up,
the windows adaptor setting could be overriding the bios setting which is why I mention that as a possibility, some of the older bios systems were poorly coded and the windows setting didn't always change the operating flag shown on screen when checking the bios, AM bios were particularly bad at that in configurations used by Toshiba because they always left the back door open (just type AMI on any old machine that has a boot lock enabled when you don't know the password) although they are far from the only company that did that (something we used extensively to bypass so called secure boot back in the day) 
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Strat
Community Veteran

Quote from: minkey

This indeed was the problem.
A quick Google showed me where the CMOS battery was and how to access it.
Replaced it with a new one and it's fine now with no odd behavioural problems, so thank you minkey Smiley