Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd Firefox spell checker anomoly

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Odd Firefox spell checker anomoly

On both my laptop and desktop machines I have Firefox browser (up to date) Both indicate they're using the English (British) spell checkers, but...
Take an e.g
Popularise (British spelling)
popularize (US spelling)
Reminder: both machines show English (British) spell checker installed.
The laptop doesn't correct popularise, the desktop wants to correct it to popularize (US version) The only difference in setup I can remember is that the laptop was setup with the British at installation. The desktop was added later from Firefox add-on's.
Anyone any idea why the desktop continues to use the US spell checker rather than the added-on (and indicated) British? As default Firefox loads the US version. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
2 REPLIES 2
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Odd Firefox spell checker anomoly

from New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary (New SOED)
popularise v. var. of POPULARIZE.

popularize /"pQpjUl<schwa>rVIz/ v. Also -ise.
            L16. [f. POPULAR a. + -IZE.]<unknown>
1 v.i. Act popularly; court popular favour. rare. Only in L16.
2 v.t. Make popular; spec. (a) cause to be generally known, liked, or admired; (b) make (esp. something technical or scientific) intelligible or attractive to a wide or wider audience. L18.
2 Tait’s Edinburgh Magazine He possesses..the power of seizing upon and popularizing the finer parts of his subject.
    Time Paul Ecke..who popularized poinsettias as a living symbol of Christmas.

QED Firefox is correct
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Odd Firefox spell checker anomoly

Thank you pierre_pierre, That was perhaps an unfortunate e.g to pick on. other British v US anomalies occur with this. The real question is why should there be two different versions, when both machines indicate the same spell checker is in use.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.