cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd File Move Issue

Mav
Fixes: 515

Odd File Move Issue

When I now attempt to move a folder from one drive to another (neither of which is the Boot drive) one folder/subfolder is created and nothing else appears to happen. No File Transfer box opens (this on folders that contain many files with some large). All these folders have only just been transferred to this drive on a temporary basis and now I wish to move them back again.
If I attempt to try again I get the message
Cannot copy <file_name>: It is being used by another person or program.
Close any programs that might be using the file and try again.

I have closed all programs including Windows Explorer then re-opened WE to try again with the same result.
If I copy the files then delete from the original drive all goes according to plan!
Edit: been attempting to test all drives but that takes some time. I wanted to have a quick look using Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management but it just hangs failing to list any of my drives (6 internal & 1 External USB).
Edit 2: Also, it takes ages for any disc's Properties Box to open after right clicking then selecting Properties.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

3 REPLIES 3
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Odd File Move Issue

I bet it's your virus checker seizing control of your directory.
Try disconnecting from the internet and disabling your virus checker (temporarily).
Move is implemented as copy and delete.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Mav
Fixes: 515

Thanks for that - I'll give it a try.
The only thing is... why should this suddenly start happening when I haven't made any changes.
I run AVG 8.0.138. I have turned off Link Scanner and Resident Shield so the above shouldn't be an issue, should it?
Ta!
Edit: How do I actually turn off AVG8 (Free version) Anti-virus & Ant-Spyware? There is no option in the AVG control panel.  I can quit the AVG Tray App but that doesn't appear to stop the Anti-Virus/Spyware.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

samuria
Grafter

The scenario typically looks like this: you want to delete, move, perhaps rename a file, or maybe even just use it in another application and you get a message that you can't. The message indicates that another application is using the file.
Great. "What application?" you ask.
It wouldn't be that hard for Windows to tell you, but since it doesn't you'll need to do a little investigatory work yourself. Fortunately there's a free tool.
When I'm faced with this situation, I grab my copy of  Procexp  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx a very nifty took that does exactly what we need here (and a whole lot more). Procexp is, in a nutshell, task manager on steroids. I've referenced it in several answers as a great tool to use to see what's running on your system. However it's also a great tool to see who's got that file open.
Let's assume I'm trying to find out who has my mail folder open. In my case that's the file "personal.pst". I'll run procexp, and select Find, Find Handle.... (Every object such as an open file is identified by a unique number called a "handle" - procexp searches across all those objects, not just the files.) I'll enter in personal.pst and procexp will respond something much like this:
    OUTLOOK.EXE        2956  C:\xfer\MAIL\personal.pst
Sure enough, as we might expect in this case, Outlook has the file open.