cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OK Heads Up... A Tutorial on File Transfer in Windows 7

zedingrove
Grafter

OK Heads Up... A Tutorial on File Transfer in Windows 7

OK if anyone wants to transfer files from My Documents from an external/internal HDD  which has an earlier version of Windows to that of Windows 7, then read on...
Before I begin I started a topic for this exact problem, and the replies which came back, were only part correct or not at all!
Also only attempt this if there is absolutely no other means to retrieve the data (You will see why I say this in a mo).
So before you begin you need to make sure that your user profile says you are Administrator, also disconnect your computer from the router and that you have stopped your Anti-Virus program (unless you want it to check your drive for viruses).
So you have the drive location and you want to access My Documents... E:\Documents and Settings\administrator\My Documents...
So within the folder My Documents you will have sub folders and files, to access any folder/file you need to perform the exact same method below. Don't think if you give permissions to a folder you can then access the files! No each folder sub folder and files have to be given, Ownership and Permissions and in that order.
OK right click My Documents Folder, scroll down to properties, select then select Security Tab - Advanced Button - Owner Tab - Edit - select Administrator - OK - OK - OK -OK. Few, but we are not done yet! That's just taking ownership of the folder.
So we right click on My Documents - Properties - Security Tab - Edit - Add ~ now you are presented with 3 content boxes 1st: Select Object Types and un-check Built-in Security and Groups. Leaving Users Checked.~ Next click on locations - OK ~ Now you need to enter Object Name (as in Users). Click in the field and type Administrator (Careful to spell correct) - click Check Names - OK ~ Then in Permissions Field check Allow for Full Control - OK - OK.
Hey presto you now have access to the folder, but not the sub folders and files for this you must complete the above individually, one at a time. Why? Well I sent Microsoft an email to explain why it is you can not select multiple files for Ownership/Permissions.
Have also searched Google to see if any one has written a batch file to do this job, not a mention and not much either on the above.
Right then now that is done, for any would be intrepid know it all that says all you need to do is select share, I say to you... Go ahead and try it!
Foot Note: With Windows help, Google and trial & error I managed to accomplish the above in little under 5 hours!!! What Fun  Crazy  
11 REPLIES 11
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: OK Heads Up... A Tutorial on File Transfer in Windows 7

You missed a check box that says "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects".  If you tick that box you can take ownership of a folder and all its contents so you don't have to change permissions one file at a time.  It's easily missed because the box is found only if you follow the sequence: Properties - Security - Advanced - Owner - Edit but then the check box you needed is there a the bottom left of the Window.   
Fortunately you only have to take these measures in a small minority of instances where something has gone wrong with the normal process/permissions. 
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: ReedRichards
Fortunately you only have to take these measures in a small minority of instances where something has gone wrong with the normal process/permissions. 

You beat me to it! That is indeed an extreme and very rare example and sadly you "missed a trick".
I do wonder what specific environment this was in, e.g. domains, workgroups, what sharing has been set up?
Also is the "external" drive part of a live running windows system or just a slave (USB external or internal IDE/SATA) on the W7 system.
I've seen very many such situations but never had a major problem and none requiring file-by-file editing of permissions.
GrahamC
Grafter

It's an ex-XP system drive now attached to a Windows 7 system.
As the security model is XP's, Windows 7 will not allow access unless ownership is taken as the OP found out. Unfortunately missing that one step in the process cost a few hours rather than a few minutes.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Yes, but Zedingrove could have asked for details in one of his original threads and any one of the three of us (or many others who frequent this forum) could then have given explicit instructions on what to do that would have saved him a few hours. 
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Funny thing is, W7 normally tells you and actually ASKS if you want to take the relevant permissions - if you're an administrator...
All sounds a bit odd, but I've not read any related threads (didn't know there were any  Cool )
GrahamC
Grafter

@ReedRichards
Agreed, full disclosure would have helped  Wink
@HPSauce
Unfortunately, advice on disabling UAC and enabling Administrator accounts was given so presumably no such questions were asked.
zedingrove
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards
You missed a check box that says "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects".  If you tick that box you can take ownership of a folder and all its contents so you don't have to change permissions one file at a time.  It's easily missed because the box is found only if you follow the sequence: Properties - Security - Advanced - Owner - Edit but then the check box you needed is there a the bottom left of the Window.   

OK I feel like a right pratt at this point, but why oh why is this not documented in W7 help files. What I wrote is by and by W7 help file and why does it tell you that you have to do each file individually.....
Oh and it worked.....Thank You
zedingrove
Grafter

Sorry to double post!!!
But... Call me thick, Full Disclosure GrahamC, ask for details ReedRichards
Did I not ask this in another thread which you both posted on?
Undecided
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Much as I like to help, I don't have an infinite amount of time so I outline my answer and presume that if someone wants more details they will ask for them.
The last question you asked, Zedingrove, before deciding to go it alone
Quote from: zedingrove
That would be the one with the slider in it?
I found completely incomprehensible.
GrahamC
Grafter

But... Call me thick, Full Disclosure GrahamC, ask for details ReedRichards
Did I not ask this in another thread which you both posted on?

The important missing information was that this external drive was an old XP drive and not a native Windows 7 drive. I had to spend some appreciable time to find that information by reading many of your other threads.
Really it's not anyone's fault but my own, as my expectations for people on this planet, to be just a little like myself... Faultless, Attention to detail, See it through to the end and have the art of communication....

Really ?
.... but why oh why is this not documented in W7 help files. What I wrote is by and by W7 help file and why does it tell you that you have to do each file individually.....

It is documented, It doesn't state that you have to do all files and folders individually, it does state...
5. (Optional) To change the owner of all subcontainers and objects within the tree, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

I think you'll find the Win 7 help files are good and well written.
zedingrove
Grafter

OK I did not state it was an old XP drive,  you see I just presume a lot and when I asked for help, it did not occur to me to state that. Previously in XP could attach external drives etc. with older OS and read/write this out any hassle....
So I apologise and should not presume/write posts when intoxicated.... Crazy