cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OEM security software - am I okay to use it

bubbalicious
Grafter

OEM security software - am I okay to use it

Oh guys, sorry but I need to ask your help again.
I need to install McAfee Internet Security 2010 after my existing subscription expires in a couple of days and need to also install it on my fathers laptop - apparently it has to be McAfee (something to do with his company computers) so I am restricted to this one only.
After missing the bargain price on Tesco I found another website selling it for less than £20,  I called before buying to confirm it was not an OEM version to which they assured me several times it was not!
>:(Disk arrived today and printed on the front 'OEM -not for resale'.` Angry
I had looked into these OEM versions, read about them on the internet and decided I didn;t want to take the risk, but now it has arrived and I only have until 29th before my current version expires I am wondering if I could use it.
I am very paranoid about security and I thought OEMS could not be sold without some kind of hardware, it is illegal if they aren't and they could be conterfeit ........ am  I being too paraniod here, or should I send it back and find a trial of another software to keep me going until after the bank holiday when I can buy another Mcafee.
Thanks peeps, as always your help is much, much appreciated.
Cheesy
3 REPLIES 3
Lurker
Grafter

Re: OEM security software - am I okay to use it

When I was with McAfee I just paid the subscription via their website.
For your father however, if it needs to be McAfee because of company policy, it will probably need to be installed and configured using ePO (ePolicy Orchestrator) which sets the policies according to the correct company ones.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

There shouldn't be any problem as it is exactly the same software but with a different version license key.
There may be restrictions though - such as
No product upgrade when a new version comes out
You can't move it to another computer
bubbalicious
Grafter

Sorry peeps, so rude of me not posting earlier to your very helpful tips,  CrazyI had a bit of an accident and wasn't up to 'computing' for a while. Please accept my apologies for not completing this thread. Embarrassed
I was so lucky that the possibilty of my fatherslaptop may require a company version of McAfee before I went to the hassle of installing my normal version on it, it did indeed need the version mentioned,  Wink Wink

For my laptop I took all your advice and reasurances and went ahead and installed the OEM, and it all seems to be working fine.
Cheers Chappies  Cheesy :D.