Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O.E Print icon greyed out

samuria
Grafter

Re: O.E Print icon greyed out

If it just one user then it has to be
The mail file corrupt is it greater than 2 gig? Try setting it up but dont import anything.
If its a network printer then it cant find it or doesn't have permission to use it can you set the printer by IP maybe its not resolving it. Can you try another printer and see if its the same.
Firewall changes not letting it get out to a network device
Printer drivers maybe updated or the dll's  overwritten by updates
OK, just one thing I need to check - do you have the Preview pane
showing? The Print commands/shortcuts will be greyed out if the Preview
pane (the lower pane) isn't showing.

Go to View => Layout and uncheck 'Show preview pane'
Now go to the File menu. Print is greyed out.
John_Essex
Grafter

The set up is that each machine on the workgroup has its own email address and uses its own email client on the machine.
Example mail1@ mail2@
Quote from: samuria
The mail file corrupt is it greater than 2 gig? Try setting it up but dont import anything.

I have started by parking all the existing emails in a seperate folder and started from new without importing anything.
So folder sizes are minimal when the fault appears

If its a network printer then it cant find it or doesn't have permission to use it can you set the printer by IP maybe its not resolving it. Can you try another printer and see if its the same.

All other aplications can print ok and changing the printer does not restore the icon.
Incidentaly testing on my machine here and removing all printers then I still see the print icon. All that happens is when I select print it tells you that you need to install a printer.
Firewall changes not letting it get out to a network device
Printer drivers maybe updated or the dll's  overwritten by updates

I have tried turning off the firewall and the printer drivers are as was and still work with the other machines. I have even disabled the windows updates and the fault still comes back after a few hours from re installing everything.

OK, just one thing I need to check - do you have the Preview pane
showing? The Print commands/shortcuts will be greyed out if the Preview
pane (the lower pane) isn't showing.

Preview pane is showing but the icon is still greyed out.
It is however still working well using Thunderbird as the email client  Smiley
And I must confess that having played with Thunderbird now I am begining to like it better than Outlook Express.
John_Essex
Grafter

Well it's now been over a week now since I replaced Outlook Express with Thunderbird on the offending machine.
So for all is looking good and there have been no more printing issues.  Smiley
I would still like to know though what is causing the original problem. So far it is still a mystery.  >:(.
grimme
Grafter

I've come across a couple of similar problems and one answer has been to re-register the ole32.dll.
Go to Start > Run and type regsvr32 ole32.dll in the run textbox.
Click ok and check whether you can print.

Other times it has been an issue with IE and repairing/reinstalling that has helped OE.
In the dim and distant past there was always an issue with HP printers and spool32.dll file, don't know if HP still have any related problems with that.
Have you tried getting the user to login (using their login credentials) on another PC on the network connected to the HP printer and see if the problem with OE moves with them?
John_Essex
Grafter

Quote from: grimme
I've come across a couple of similar problems and one answer has been to re-register the ole32.dll.
Go to Start > Run and type regsvr32 ole32.dll in the run textbox.
Click ok and check whether you can print.

Other times it has been an issue with IE and repairing/reinstalling that has helped OE.

Been there and done that  Sad and it ,akes no difference.
Neither does removing and re-installing O.E.
Have you tried getting the user to login (using their login credentials) on another PC on the network connected to the HP printer and see if the problem with OE moves with them?

Havn't tried getting the user of "Office4" machine to log on on another machine and see if the fault moves with them.
That would though involve disrupting the work of one of the other secretaries while I set up that machine and installed the necessary email accounts for them.
In the dim and distant past there was always an issue with HP printers and spool32.dll file, don't know if HP still have any related problems with that.

It's not just the HP machine that has the issue. Installing a "Epson" doesn't cure it either.  Sad
Thanks for the ideas though