cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now is the time to say GOODBYE!

shellsong
Grafter

Re: Now is the time to say GOODBYE!

Rough rule of thumb - line length in Km equals downstream attenuation in dB divided by 14
shellsong
Grafter

Is this a long enough line for you? Someone recently connected
Uptime: 0 days, 0:11:30
Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 936 / 3,317
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 1.90 / 9.49
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 16.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 32.0 / 58.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.5 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / µ
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 4 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 16 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1,154
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 242 / 21
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 176 / 17
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: shellsong
Rough rule of thumb - line length in Km equals downstream attenuation in dB divided by 14

Id that rule of thumb applicable to ordinary ADSL?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shellsong
Grafter

Yeah, that's where I first came across it - maybe one should divide by 15 for ADSL2+ because of the higher attenuation
James
Grafter

Hi Shellsong,
Really looking for downstream attenuation being in the 60's. The synchronisation speeds for that line you referenced to are pretty decent though, although not *far* off what I would expect to see on ADSL.  Given I've seen 63+dB lines getting 1.5Mbps speeds, I imagine 3Mbps on a 58dB should be doable.
Looks promising though.
shellsong
Grafter

I've not seen many posted above 60dB but as an example of what can be got from a stable line in that region, how about this?
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,131 / 5,523
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 113.22 / 1.43
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 18.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 34.0 / 59.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 3.5 / 3.0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 7 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 50,555
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 169 / 9
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 84 / 6
Also, it's early days yet, but today Be seem to have sorted the high ping problem that's been getting West Yorkshire lads and lassies riled and ruining their gaming - pings are down from 100-500ms to 20-50ms apparently!
shellsong
Grafter

Got them to shift me from interleaved to fastpath to see what effect it would have and it's gained me about 1.5Mbps - not that I'm too fussed about more download speed. I shall probably squander that gain on higher upload rate by shifting to Pro for an upload rate of about 2Mbps instead of 1.3Mbps
Uptime: 0 days, 0:47:21
Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,325 / 17,168
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 8.67 / 56.73
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 17.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.0 / 29.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.5 / 6.5
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 28 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 26 / 29
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 21 / 18
ed
Grafter

If you have a long line you can ask for ADSL G.992.3 which has a max speed of 12mbps.
I found fastpath was causing line drops and I only had 18db, hows it working out for you shellsong?
shellsong
Grafter

Apart from problems with the BeBox and Mr Bigglesworth (my laptop) not playing together nicely all the time (they occasionally appear to be connected with correct IP addresses and everything but don't communicate, cured if I reboot the BeBox) I've had no real problems so far. CRC and HEC errors have been high but I've got a theory that's due to the pings I've been getting from f8lure every second so I've put a stop to the test for the time being to see if the error rate reduces.
When my son was home from Aberystwyth last weekend he was able to ping the Uni at 18ms and his Bytemark server at 8ms and when he was downloading some Linux updates he said they were coming down at 1.8MB/s! (That's Bytes not bits!)
Low pings seem to be very dependent on good peering because the Maidenhead server 10 miles away that speedtest.net reckons is my 'Recommended' one has been known to ping anywhere between 20 and 90ms!
ed
Grafter

FEC errors are missreported I have like 2 billion.
You should have 0/0 FEC errors if you're really on Fastpath though.
I think tracert and maybe ping have low priority on the Be network so it cannot always be relied upon. I see 20ms normally.
shellsong
Grafter

Ah well,
Happy Christmas everyone!
My Be connection still seems to be working fine although unfortunately Mr Bigglesworth, my horrible Acer Aspire 1524WLMi laptop, seems to have taken a dislike to being upgraded from Kubuntu Feisty Fawn to Gutsy Gibbon so I've had to drop back to the Feisty kernel and not everything is working quite as it should.
Hopefully when we collect my son at the end of this week from Uni at Aberystwyth for Christmas, he will soon have things optimised and I can get the real benefits of Gutsy, although Mr B is definitely overdue retirement.
Last one out, turn off the Ellacoyas!
Gerry
shellsong
Grafter

I must say it's been bliss over the Christmas period being able to have a data throughput of over 5GB per day without fear of reprisals from an overweening ISP, particularly since downloads are so fast when the source allows.
I ordered a motorised satellite dish kit from Maplins at the beginning of December but something went wrong with the delivery and we've been relying on the internet to get our fix of Dr Who this Christmas (unfortunately we're in a terrestrial blackspot at least until they finish messing around with transmitting both digital and analogue - neither are tolerable with the reduced signal strengths they're using at the moment!)
I'm not particularly taken with the BeBox (a Speedtouch 585 in our case). It works OK most of the time but the WiFi is prone to losing proper connection with our equipment meaning the BeBox has to be rebooted and we've also had to reboot once or twice because it wouldn't pass on DNS requests to the DNS servers.
Quite a few people seem to be using the Netgear DG834GT or N boxes with good results reported. Maybe we'll take that route or try a Billion VoIP router which also seem to have a good rep