cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now is the time to say GOODBYE!

God
Grafter

Re: Now is the time to say GOODBYE!

This thread should be renamed 'The Long Goodbye'.
James
Grafter

Hi firejack,
Sorry to hear about your seemingly endless bother!  Would you be able to send in a Wireshark capture so that we can ensure that your traffic is being handled appropriately?
Firejack
Grafter

Already have a ticket with lots of Wireshark dumps Smiley
ID: 22909041
James
Grafter

Thanks Smiley
I've asked someone to have another look for you.
shellsong
Grafter

Quote from: God
This thread should be renamed 'The Long Goodbye'.

As You should know, some things take longer than a week! Wink
ed
Grafter

I think the theory is you give the user enough speed so they run out of things to download or it downloads so fast they get off the line faster.  Wink
I came across this useful tool TCP Optimizer http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php to improved your ADSL speed. I was sceptical but it realy works Smiley
It's still going good.
shellsong
Grafter

They've at last used my Credit card and report that the Welcome Pack with BeBox is on its way - pity I had to PM Brett Coles to prod someone to do it! Hopefully I'll be able to use the BeBox as a reference to help iron out the wrinkles in my connection - I understand they've switched from the Thomson Speedtouch 780WL to the ST585 although most people think they're both ugly beasts and at least the 780 had VoIP ports. I'd rather have a pukka VoIP port that degrades to a normal phone if the modem goes down than WiFi - that could be handled separately with the latest MIMO stuff whether draft N or N
shellsong
Grafter

I received the BeBox (a Speedtouch ST585) eventually on Monday afternoon so I've had it running just over a day with better results than the Pluscom

Uptime: 1 day, 0:46:14
Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,313 / 15,454
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 77.46 / 455.25
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 16.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.0 / 29.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.0 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / µ
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 230 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 293,467
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 1,788 / 1,161
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 1,548 / 884
A lot of the error seconds are down to some work Be warned us they were going to do in our local area, supposedly from 3am to 5am but it was done and dusted in a few minutes just after 3am according to my f8lure graph (L8NC alike) It looks as though I may need to advise that my D/S Power is a bit low (should be about 19dBm rather than 16dBm) - increasing that may well improve things slightly.
Latest Speedtest
God
Grafter

Quote from: shellsong
I received the BeBox (a Speedtouch ST585) eventually on Monday afternoon so I've had it running just over a day with better results than the Pluscom

So now that you finally have your box and the speeds are better than ours will this finally be goodbye?
grey_gorilla
Dabbler

Quote from: shellsong

Comparing like with like, your error rates seem to exceed mine.
Enjoy your stay at Be, Shell. Be happy? Don't worry ;-/
shellsong
Grafter

Quote from: God
So now that you finally have your box and the speeds are better than ours will this finally be goodbye?

Don't tell me You are a Jealous God? Roll_eyes
I may well leave it at that. I wanted to give some information on how things went in the move for those who asked to be informed and as you can see there is good and bad on this side of the fence but so far I think the good seems to overwhelm the bad.
Even the problems folk in West Yorkshire have been having with high pings looks like a fix is scheduled for Friday - I might update on that before I leave this topic to sink into oblivion and I'll possibly look in occasionally to see how things are faring for PlusNet customers
James
Grafter

I'll be interested to compare long lines on ADSL Vs ADSL2+.
shellsong
Grafter

As far as I can tell long lines on ADSL2+ can be faster and more stable than on ADSL although of course the quality of the line is as important as the length. The rate adaptive aspect of ADSL2+ is far superior to MaxDSL, also long lines with ADSL2+ can usually easily top 1Mbps in upload which can definitely be worth having even without downstream improvement.
A lot of n00bs complain that they're not getting the sort of speeds they were hoping for but many don't seem to realise that improving their domestic wiring is even more important than for MaxDSL in spite of extensive FAQs about how to get the best out of your connection being prominent on the Forum
One thing I'm not marvellously impressed with is the Speedtouch ST585 - it connects reasonably well but I and others have found that the way the wlan interacts with client PCs seems to leave somewhat to be desired. I shall have to fiddle around with it a bit more to try and get my laptop logging on to it with less fuss.
The way in which port forwarding has to be done seems less than intuitive as well. I may well get a different modem/router to do what I want and just keep the BeBox for emergencies and any time I might need to deal with Customer Service if I have any line issues
James
Grafter

I've heard that ADSL2+ is worse than MaxDSL on long lines.  But I've also heard the opposite!
Yours certainly isn't a long line Smiley
pcoventry76
Grafter

2+ suffers abit more the longer the line distance is. i've had it at 24mb on a 300ft line and then on 5km line i struggled to get above 5MB hence why i stuck with ADSL rather than going back to 2+ there was no real advantage to it.
I tried Sky LLU but could not get above 5MB - i get just over now on ADSL so ADSL 2+ for me was the worst of the too on a long line
i'm 2km from cutler exchange in a straight line it says - but i am not convinced that's true from me to Plusnet in a straight line is less than 1KM and the exchange isn't far from them