cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now is the time to say GOODBYE!

pcoventry76
Grafter

Re: Now is the time to say GOODBYE!

Best  of luck with that - and don't forget when O2 totally fade Be out next year then you'll get your service for £15 if you have an o2 mobile or £25 without.
or £10 for upto 16mb or £7.50 for upto 8mb
shellsong
Grafter

Moved the Pluscom downstairs, just inside the sittingroom door and connected straight to the filter plugged in the BT Master using 5 metres of screened CAT 5e modem cable and lo!
Thu Oct 25 23:06:06 2007
Modem Status

Connection Status   Connected
Us Rate (Kbps)             1171
Ds Rate (Kbps)             15059
US Margin               5
DS Margin               6
Trained Modulation   ADSL_2plus
LOS Errors               0
DS Line Attenuation   29
US Line Attenuation   14
Peak Cell Rate               2761 cells per sec
CRC Rx Fast               0
CRC Tx Fast               0
CRC Rx Interleaved   5
CRC Tx Interleaved   0
Path Mode               Interleaved
DSL Statistics

Near End F4 Loop Back Count   0
Near End F5 Loop Back Count   0
...and that at a time when local noise was making itself felt on the line! Grin Grin Grin Grin
pcoventry76
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
If I were signing up to BeThere/O2 I would be concerned about Network capacity because the usage levels are about to skyrocket.

I am sitting on the fence on this one.
Yes i agree with you james but i also have to disagree. Years of heavy users ( inlcuding myself who used to hit 7TB a month on a 24MB line) hasen't slowed down or caused problems for Bulldog. To this day they still offer unlimited without Ellacoya,or Caps for £10 or £19 a month
But yes it will be interesting to see. I am getting alot of calls for people wanting BB or wanting to speak to the BB team. And we havea special speeddial to get through to them. it's getting very busy over there.
James
Grafter

shellsong
Grafter

The main problem with Be/O2 at the moment is not capacity - they've spent the last year beavering away upping capacity and improving the network structure so that larger numbers don't impact on the service - their present problem seems to be down to the fact that they have been having problems with their BeBox supplier and this combined with being swamped with requests for upgrades since the release of the new pricing structure has led to quite a few unhappy new members, activated but without the modem CS works with.
I'm still waiting for mine!
pcoventry76
Grafter

it'll be a good service until everyone starts to hammer it - without any traffic shaping or management it'll grind to a halt
shellsong
Grafter

It's been a good service for two years now with no real contention for those who have been able to get it - apart for a few who appear to have had BT/local equipment issues. I've been on the Be Forum, keeping a close eye on things for over one and a half of those years at the same time as being on this Forum, watching and contributing.
pcoventry76
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Pete - Bulldog might not be the best of examples!

I know i was refering to the time prior to them pulling out - although they have now stopped taking on new residential customers they still provide service to the existing customer base.
I wish they wouldn't, then and only then might i get my phoneline cut off!
it's in another house in MY name, but i don't think anyone has noticed
shellsong
Grafter

Brilliant! PlusNet Support can't get the simplest requests right! I am now living on borrowed time in the main part of the Forum. Why? Because my clear request to have my account degraded to Pay As You Go dial up when my 30 days notice is up on the 5th of November has been misinterpreted as "downgrade it now!".
I don't know how long it'll take for my Forum status to get changed but I suppose I will soon be unable to post anywhere but the Dial Up part of the Forum since I doubt if they'll reinstate me for 10 days worth of notice period.
If they can't I reckon I'm owed 10 days worth of fees for unnecessarily lost facilities! (Not that they're worth a lot but I had hoped to remain alive on this part of the Forum until then at least.)
Firejack
Grafter

I'm beginning to feel like my enjoyment of the Internet is squeezed far too much by Plusnets traffic management and am considering a switch of ISP after nearly 6 years with Plusnet.
Quote from: shellsong
The main problem with Be/O2 at the moment is not capacity - they've spent the last year beavering away upping capacity and improving the network structure so that larger numbers don't impact on the service....
Is there a webpage showing a graph of capacity and usage? Would like to check out how much spare capacity they have before considering a switch.

Quote from: shellsong
... their present problem seems to be down to the fact that they have been having problems with their BeBox supplier ....
do you have to use the BeBox to connect or can you use your own hardware? Or would I be in a long wait if I switched to Be  Huh
shellsong
Grafter

I don't know if they have published any data concerning capacity and usage - like many others they seem to consider this sort of detail company sensitive but their starting philosophy was, and I believe still is, that the customer should not experience contention, and have vigorously reacted to any signs by removing the barrier rather than the customer.
They have tried to explain the way they try to do things in general terms from time to time but the only real detail I remember seeing was when they lit up the extra 10Gbps I mentioned - mind you that is equivalent to about 16 BT Centrals!
Brett Coles announced late this afternoon that they had sourced a different modem router to replace the old BeBox and apologised for problems suffered by new joiners, offering them a free month as compensation or easy free cancellation. You can use your own hardware if you wish and a lot of people seem to use Netgear devices out of preference but you are expected to use the BeBox for trouble shooting at least, so that Customer Support don't have a whole lot of different hardware to deal with.
pcoventry76
Grafter

Shell,
You can post anywhere on the forums using PAYG Dialup - i did weeks before i got ADSL
Pete
shellsong
Grafter

Quote from: Firejack
I'm beginning to feel like my enjoyment of the Internet is squeezed far too much by Plusnets traffic management and am considering a switch of ISP after nearly 6 years with Plusnet.

This is one of the things that annoyed me about the way PlusNet  have done things from the SUP onwards. I tend to use much less than 10 Gigs per month, but there are times when I could do with downloading about 100-150 Gigs per month maybe for a couple of months, and the restrictions on different kinds of traffic really annoy me - I don't want to live in a police state, even a 'virtual' one!
Firejack
Grafter

Don't think I've ever used more then 60GB's in a single month. I'd guess I use anything between 5GB's and 60GB's depending on what I'm doing with a typical average of around 25GB. I'm more then sure I've been an ideal customer consider I pay £21.99 a month. For me now though I just want my games and programs to work. Thats the main issue and cause of frustration for me at the moment.
Had problems with VPN's that took awhile to find a solution to on Plus.nets Traffic Management system.
Then had issues with FTP.
Then had problems with Medieval 2.
Then now I have issues with World In Conflict.
Would be nice one day to switch on the Internet and not have to worry about something working.
shellsong
Grafter

At the moment a bunch of Be customers in West Yorkshire are not at all happy because latency is high for them, with pings quite often 300ms or more, whereas I'm getting pings to the same sites of about 17ms! There's a lot of theorising going on about the cause(s).