cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now is the time to say GOODBYE!

shellsong
Grafter

Now is the time to say GOODBYE!

Now is the time to yield a sigh! (Yield it! Yield it!)
Shellsong has ordered his MAC because the light at the end of the tunnel is not an oncoming train this time! My exchange is Be enabled at last and I can say goodbye to the overmanagement, ever more cramped bandwidth and reduced download speeds that started over two years ago.
I would like to wish all the best to the many nice folk I have met via the PN forum and I hope I have been of help to a few people in the past.
Cheerio - BE seeing you!
Gerry
86 REPLIES 86
LiamM
Grafter

Re: Now is the time to say GOODBYE!

Enjoy it while it lasts!  O2 will be squeezing their punters onto your exchange shortly.
chillypenguin
Grafter

That Be an long time you Be waiting.
Chilly
shellsong
Grafter

@ Liam
Allegedly they'll be doing it in such a way that it doesn't impinge on the Be customers service - unlike PN with Metronet!
@ Chilly - Ar lad, that it Be!
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Quote from: shellsong
Allegedly they'll be doing it in such a way that it doesn't impinge on the Be customers service - unlike PN with Metronet!

Lol famous last words, I'll believe it when I see it Tongue
LiamM
Grafter

Each exchange can only have finite backhaul.  BE* is hardly a widely known name.  Once O2 launch into Broadband in a big way - I'm expecting the Be* network to show it's true colours.  I hope (because I like O2) that their broadband products are decent - but I know the challenge they face.  It is one where products such as Be's can not be sustainable longer-term and I expect performance issues to become more widespread as more users are introduced onto the platform in a big way.
O2 will be pushing their broadband massively and they're almost a household name - unlike Be.  If the product is good and the price and support is pitched right - I think O2 takeup will be high.  And that means much busier exchanges.
I sincerely hope that O2 don't launch into "Unlimited" - it'll open up a minefield of problems for them.
shellsong
Grafter

Methinks the man doth protest too much! Wink
7th_star
Grafter

Let us know how you get on Gerry.
Best wishes.  Smiley
James
Grafter

O2 are (rumoured) to be launching a product with no set usage limitations, but with a fair usage policy.  Yeah, go figure!
Liam raises a valid point.  Be have a solid reputation currently, but O2 customers will be using their exchange equipment and this could lead to exchange contention, package changes and such like.  But it's fine for us to speculate, we really don't know what will happen, but the amount of traffic on Be's network will definitely increasde and it's going to depend on how flexible they are with their upgrade policies.
drw
Grafter

however fast the ISP may be capable of offering you are still reliant on the quality of the line that is maintained by BT Openreach.  Good lines can be downgraded because of not to careful work in the street cabinets to connect new lines, you are then in the invidious position of having to prove your own innocence before the guilty party (Openreach) will make an attempt to fix the problem. Waiting more than a week to get the problem fixed (if you are fortunate)
ed
Grafter

I'm currently in the process of moving to Be, it's not all good. What I've found so far..
Thing with Be, you can't have a fixed IP unless you go for the £28 option. A bit annoying as I don't need 24mbps down (I just want the 1.3mbps up) so have to pay 2x the Value option or suffer messing around with Dynamic domain redirections! Even if you redirect I've got the feeling they block ports 25 and 80 so you can't setup your own server on Value anyway Angry
They say there is a limited amount of room in the exchanges for LLU so I thought I'd get in before the O2 adverts start arriving on TV.
I've read the Be Box has an admin back door in it and hackers know how to get in! Also one of the four 10/100 ports is reserved for a future feature and you won't be able to use it unless you hack your box. I think I'll stick to my BT Voyager 2110 then coz it's as solid as a rock Shocked
If your attenuation is 40+db you won't get faster than 8mbps, if it's 55+ there wont be any benefit over standard ADSL. To see if you can benefit from ADSL2 look at your current download attenuation in your router config page then look at this graph http://www.beforum.co.uk/forum/default.aspx?f=2&m=3875 lucky me has 15db so I should see 19.5mbps
karmi
Grafter

Oh wow, with 9DB downstream attenuation I could be pretty much capped in terms of speed.
Unfortunately, I have a thing for Plusnet, when it works its fantastic and when it doesnt..  its a pain but the support is decent even if they dont read half the questions the outcome is usually fixing the problem.
Good luck on new provider although the fact they say UNLIMITED but even at £40 excessive usage could get you chucked. I mean:
# Making excessive use of, or placing unusual burdens on, the network, for example by sending or receiving large volumes of email or excessively large email attachments"
-Its not attachments you should be worried about mate Cheesy
#If it’s felt that any Be member’s Internet activities are so excessive that other members are detrimentally affected, Be may give the member generating the excessive web traffic a written warning (by email or otherwise). In extreme circumstances, should the levels of activity not immediately decrease after the warning, Be may terminate that member’s services.
-Why provide 24mb download with 2.5mb upload branded as unlimited with a policy like this? OBVIOUSLY you want a fast Internet connection to use because you download alot of files or you upload alot, if you only download 1 document per week then stick on 512k.. These £40 packages really should be more all you can eat buffets Cheesy
Saying that, see how they run, maybe the policy is fair. But mark my words, if its too fair and it gets out then the ISP will get swamped and the service will most likely be awful.
shellsong
Grafter

Quote from: ed
I'm currently in the process of moving to Be, it's not all good. What I've found so far..
Thing with Be, you can't have a fixed IP unless you go for the £28 option. A bit annoying as I don't need 24mbps down (I just want the 1.3mbps up) so have to pay 2x the Value option or suffer messing around with Dynamic domain redirections! Even if you redirect I've got the feeling they block ports 25 and 80 so you can't setup your own server on Value anyway Angry

I registered back at the beginning, so with the introductory offer I'll be getting a Static IP for the £24/month price. Mind you the Dynamic IP is so sticky that people who for some benighted reason like to change IP addresses have been complaining that they can't get their IP to change even when switching off for over 24 hours!
I understand they block port 25 for those with Dynamic IP (except for Be's Mailserver) but not port 80 (I don't know about the more recent cheapo packages - I've not been on the Be Forum much for a couple of months although I've notched up almost as many posts (~1400) over there as I have here while attempting to help people get the best out of their connection). I've been amongst those who have argued with Brett for opening port 25 for those who want as long as they don't allow it to be abused and I've also argued for a one off charge for Static IPs since their maintenance requirements are minimal
They say there is a limited amount of room in the exchanges for LLU so I thought I'd get in before the O2 adverts start arriving on TV.

I know some exchanges have had to build extensions - I think that that was one of the reasons BT gave for the inordinate amount of time it took for my exchange (Bracknell) to be enabled. Such is BT's organisational ineptitude that when Be's subcontractors went in to connect up their equipment they found no mains connections and had to wait for mains electricity to be installed! (Anyone would think they didn't want the competition of an independent minded LLU ISP!)
I've read the Be Box has an admin back door in it and hackers know how to get in! Also one of the four 10/100 ports is reserved for a future feature and you won't be able to use it unless you hack your box. I think I'll stick to my BT Voyager 2110 then coz it's as solid as a rock Shocked

I've not heard that one but some people use the Be box as a dumb modem anyway - particularly since the wifi part of it is best switched off to stop overheating and/or improve reliability. Netgear modems work quite well with their exchange equipment
If your attenuation is 40+db you won't get faster than 8mbps, if it's 55+ there wont be any benefit over standard ADSL. To see if you can benefit from ADSL2 look at your current download attenuation in your router config page then look at this graph http://www.beforum.co.uk/forum/default.aspx?f=2&m=3875 lucky me has 15db so I should see 19.5mbps

In the end you can only get the speed the "last mile" of copper will allow but at least you won't be connected to the BT DSLAMs with the exchange contention they seem to inevitably carry and Be's ADSL2+ rate adaption works properly as opposed to MaxDSL's pseudo system that takes days to respond to changes in line noise. Another point is that Be users usually get the full download/upload speeds their connection speed indicates if the source/recipient is capable of sustaining it, even during "peak periods", whereas my PlusNet connection seems incapable of reaching download speeds more than half the connection speed - overfull centrals or "management"?
@ karmi
At the last count no one had even been warned by Be for excessive use according to Brett Cole, and some hit over 500GB/month! I got hit by PlusNet a couple of years ago for downloading a little over 100GB during a couple of months just before they introduced the SUP!
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: shellsong

I know some exchanges have had to build extensions - I think that that was one of the reasons BT gave for the inordinate amount of time it took for my exchange (Bracknell) to be enabled. Such is BT's organisational ineptitude that when Be's subcontractors went in to connect up their equipment they found no mains connections and had to wait for mains electricity to be installed! (Anyone would think they didn't want the competition of an independent minded LLU ISP!)

To my knowledge BT are not responsible for the exchange buildings anymore Monteray are, quote from their website.
Our Unique History

Monteray was formed in April 2000 as a joint venture between three established and successful facilities management (FM) contractors – Carillion Services (51%), Haden Building Management (24.5%) and Reliance Integrated Services (24/5%).

The springboard for Monteray’s launch was the opportunity to deliver contract FM services to BT, allowing the telecoms giant to concentrate on core business areas.

As part of an initial 5-year contract, worth around £500m and reportedly the largest of its kind awarded in the UK, we are responsible for the efficient management of some 7,000 BT properties.  These range from small, unmanned telephone exchanges in remote parts of Scotland to flagship sites such as London’s landmark BT Tower.

The extraordinary wealth of expertise and resources developed in the fulfilment of this challenging contract now enables us to offer Monteray’s services to the wider market.

ed
Grafter

I registered back at the beginning, so with the introductory offer I'll be getting a Static IP for the £24/month price.

You only just requested your MAC code though? Is it a recent offer? Whats the offer code? Damn I'm gona be miffed if I'm paying £4 a month extra for a fixed IP than you Sad
I heard if you enter SALES2 you can miss the 24.99 setup charge, but I already ordered it 😕
Another annoying thing they send you the damnn Be Box wether you want it or not and you can't get rid of it coz when you finish your contract you have to send it back or give 'em £100  Shocked