Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now An Ubuntu User!!

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Now An Ubuntu User!!

Hi folks,
             well to the regulars here you may of known i was trying out mint,But i decided to give ubuntu 9.04 a try to see if i liked that better as ive heard great things about this also.
I like ubuntu better than mint,infact so much that windows is gone completetly MMWWAA HAHAHAHA!!
Just a few security queries,ive not bothered with a firewall and i know i dont need antivirus but should i be protected against key loggers or spyware? i do my banking online and few other transactions and just wouldnt like it falling in the wrong hands? Thanks very much for your help in advance Smiley
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
53 REPLIES 53
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Now An Ubuntu User!!

I use Ubuntu, without a specific firewall - you have a basic setup that allows any outgoing, no unsolicited incoming.
Provided that you are using a proper ADSL router, with NAT turned on and wireless turned off you are pretty safe.
Don't let your browser store passwords etc which you use for banks etc.
It's always worked for me. Roll_eyes
Obviously, don't click on links in emails supposedly from your bank - obvious, but not to non-technical types! Smiley
[edit] Don't sign-on as root.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Yeah ive never allowed any web browser to store my passwords as i just dont feel comfy with that idea,im using a router supplied by plusnet and i do have wireless on as my xbox 360 connects too it,but i dont have my name broadcast so i dont think my router would be easily found,they would need the name its using and the password,also i wont click on links if any come through from my bank as an email,Ive had plenty of practise with this as atleast twice a bloody month lately ive been geting spoof emails supposedly from paypal saying that i need to click this link and log in bla bla bla,i just forward them too spoof at paypal,im wired hooked upto my pc so i suppose i could turn wireless off altogether when not using xbox 360.
Not applicable

Well, what a brave fellow! Not many folk ditch Windows altogether so you must have done your homework to find alternatives to those things on Windows that you can't do without.
With regards to Ubuntu security I use the firewall but not antivirus. I also store passwords but obviously not banking ones. I've also recently gone back to NoScript which I have used on and off in Windows for a while. I find it a bit of a pain but persevering because it is supposed to be good.
BTW why did you switch to Ubuntu?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Hello again poppy,
                                  I am using no script and its a pain to begin with till it knows what you dont want blocked,also running ad block and better privacy 1.29.Yeah ditching windows was the decision i made a while back,i dont need a high spec pc with the latest windows that costs an arm and a leg not to mention all the security software you need in windows,because all i really use my pc for is online banking,checking emails,visiting a few forums and basically just surfing the net,I feel i can do all this with a linux op and doesnt cost me the arm and a leg plus ill be geting free updates for life,now who can refuse that lol,also i believed ubuntu to be the most popular so thats why ive chosen ubuntu although under the skin its really pretty much like mint,but now its installed and windows is gone i will be sticking with this op for sometime,unless i wana try out another linux to play with Wink
Not applicable

Exactly - that's all most people want to use a computer for - nothing fancy and complicated.
Ubuntu/Linux is therefore spot on.
Only thing I need Windows for is my crafting CD's and also like to use Publisher.
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: steve74
Yeah ive never allowed any web browser to store my passwords as i just dont feel comfy with that idea,im using a router supplied by plusnet and i do have wireless on as my xbox 360 connects too it,but i dont have my name broadcast so i dont think my router would be easily found....

When your xbox looks for your router it easily finds it - non-broadcasting your SSID is no security.
Make sure you are using encryption - preferably WPA, although WEP will protect you against non-aggressive action.
Ensure that you change your router configured password that you use to access your router for administration purposes (this is not your PlusNet password).

Steve
Seasoned Pro

My xbox 360 has not ever found my router when ive done a search for wireless,i do use wpa encryption and my password i have changed for getting into my router to a password of my choice,cheers Smiley
James
Grafter

My 360 with a wireless adaptor won't find our Wireless router in the next room.
Bit of a pain!
Denzil
Grafter

That is one of the nice things about Linux - if you don't like the look of one version you can try a different one.
Ubuntu/Mint doesn't really need a firewall as all ports are closed by default, so nobody can get in. Keyloggers and spyware are not an issue because they are written as Windows applications, and they simply won't work on Linux. As a normal user on Linux you can't install software anyway, so even if there were any Linux malware apps they would not be able to install themselves. Installing software always needs a root password.
@poppy, if you mean burning CDs then the apps built in to Linux are perfectly good. For desktop publishing check out Scribus for Linux. Not quite as easy to use as InDesign etc (I'm not familiar with Publisher), but fine once you get used to where everything is. Scribus's colour management and PDF export is excellent.
bobboulby
Grafter

Quote from: Denzil
Ubuntu/Mint doesn't really need a firewall as all ports are closed by default, so nobody can get in. Keyloggers and spyware are not an issue because they are written as Windows applications, and they simply won't work on Linux.

But isn't there a danger that people will start writing viruses and spyware to target Linux?
Quote from: Denzil
As a normal user on Linux you can't install software anyway, so even if there were any Linux malware apps they would not be able to install themselves. Installing software always needs a root password.

I don't understand this. I've built a MINT laptop that only has one account. When I log-in I can install things from the Package Manager so does that mean that I'm effectivly logged in as root?
Bob
VileReynard
Hero

I don't know how mint works.
Provided it asks for a password, and that you do this only when you expect it, you are safe.
[Passwords are stored as a one-way encrypted form - it can test if a trial password is correct, but you can't generate a password from the stored encrypted version]

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

don't understand this. I've built a MINT laptop that only has one account. When I log-in I can install things from the Package Manager so does that mean that I'm effectivly logged in as root?

As Jeremy says, dont know about Mint but thats not how Ubuntu works. Even when you have only one account ( which has administrator/root privileges ) it doesnt automatically log you in with those privileges, unlike Windows!. When you try and do something that requires privilege ( like sudo or installing packages ) it will ask you for the password at the time.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VileReynard
Hero

From a command entry terminal, type "top" (no quotes!) and press enter.
Press CTRL-C to terminate.
It will show your top running processes; you should see a lot of root processes, but also the user name you use to login.
If you don't see your user name...

bobboulby
Grafter

Thanks, now I recall it does ask for the password again (although this is the same password that I logged in with).
Bob