cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notebook with Atheros Wireless & WinXP will not connect to net

BWBear

Notebook with Atheros Wireless & WinXP will not connect to net

Hello,
If anyone can help I'd be more grateful than you could imagine!! 12 months ago I purchased an Asus laptop for my Mum, with Vista Business / XP Pro Downgrade. After downgrading to XP Pro I found that it was not possible to connect to any external servers - no website in IE/Opera/Firefox, no mail servers, cannot even ping/tracert to any external hosts.
I am able to wirelessly connect and stay connected to my Netgear router and receive an IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.2) without problem. The Windows XP Zero Wireless Utility reports that the connection is without any problems. I am able to ping my router @ 192.168.0.1 with 100% response @ 1-2 ms, and can login to the router config page at the same IP.
Further info:
1) Other devices function okay on the same router
2) If I turn off wireless security (i.e. turn off WPA/WPA2) I CAN access websites, and external hosts etc!
3) Sometimes, even with WPA2 on, I get 25-50% ping response from some external hosts, e.g. google.com, and can partially load some webpages, but very slowly and never completely. This 'flicker' of connectivity tends to happen within the first 15 seconds of a wireless connection to the router being established. It then stop completely, with no returns for pings.
Anyone suggestions/further questions very welcome!!!
All the best,
Chris
3 REPLIES 3
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Notebook with Atheros Wireless & WinXP will not connect to net

Are you sitting near your router?
It has worked for me (Atheros <-> Netgear) - with WPA.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Bud
Grafter

Have you got the latest driver for the network card as it looks like it could be a driver issue if it works fine with the security turned off.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Just a thought - you say it falls over when you contact your router with WPA,
Could this be, because Windows is searching for (and finding) someone else's router which has no security?
To check, find the internet-facing ip address of the router you are connected to (when security is switched off)
To do this, enter the URL http://checkip.dyndns.org/ into your browser and press enter.
You should see something like:-
Current IP Address: 87.113.xxx.xxx
or possibly
Current IP Address: 87.114.xxx.xxx

If so, you are connected to a Plusnet!
Please note, it is quite possible/likely that Plusnet may use addresses beyond the two ranges given above.
If you know how, I would check the address obtained above with the WAN address on your router.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."