cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notebook keyboard problem

Mav
Fixes: 515

Notebook keyboard problem

My daughter has an HP Pavilion g6-2210sa (W8, 64)
She just rang to say that the keyboard suddenly stopped working. This has continued across a reboot. The touchpad is working.
I used LogMeIn to access her Notebook and anything I type on my PC will appear on hers. I couldn't see Keyboard listed in Device Manager and when I checked Control Panel - Keyboard Properties - Hardware no driver was listed and Properties was grayed-out. I uninstalled both instances of HID from Device Manager and rebooted expecting it to re-install the relevant driver but still no luck.
It's less than 6 months old so I'd rather not open it up to check if the keyboard connector is seated properly. I have seen suggestions that turning off, removing/replacing the battery, then powering back on may solve this kind of problem but haven't suggested that to her yet.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be the issue and how I may resolve it?
Edit: I did find this thread where a faulty battery was the culprit. The notebook was bought December and sat in it's box till her birthday mid April so it's only been used for around 6 weeks!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

5 REPLIES 5
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Notebook keyboard problem

Oh Dear..... seems to be a common problem with that machine.......
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/HP-Pavilion-g6-1257sa-keyboard-problem/t...
Read all the entries..... and no response from HP whatsoever.....
looks like a trip back to the shop, and DEMAND a refund as "goods not of merchantable quality" ref Sale of Goods ACT ....
Just checked and the first post is dated 2011 ! ! ! ! ! ! ..... and there has been......... HP Pavilion g6-1257sa keyboard problem (10692 Views)    Shocked
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mav

Issue solved by removing the battery,
Let's hope it was a one-off.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

picbits
Rising Star

If its a documented fault with this machine and you experience it again, return the whole lot for a refund and get a different model or make.
In fact, as it is only around 6 months old, report the issue to the retailler anyway and log your dissatisfaction of being sold an inherently faulty product.
Mav

I think you're absolutely right in logging the issue with HP.
I'll ensure my daughter informs me of any further issues regarding this over the next few weeks.