cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure where this is best placed

deathtrap
Grafter

Not sure where this is best placed

This is from the Open rights Group  https://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2014/demand-your-isp-stops-retaining-your-data#letter
Tell your ISP to stop retaining your data
In April, the European law forcing Internet Service Providers to collect sensitive data about our web browsing, emails and telephone calls was struck down by the European Court of Justice.
The judges said that the law violated our basic right to privacy. But ISPs in the UK like BT, Sky, TalkTalk and Virgin Media are still storing our data! On Government advice they're carrying on regardless.
Tell your ISP to stop retaining your data! If the ISPs don't back down, we'll look into taking legal action, using these complaints to support our case.
ORG's Legal Director Elizabeth Knight and solicitors from Deighton Pierce Glynn have prepared a letter in legal language so you can complain to your ISP really quickly.

TEMPLATE LETTER
At the moment we've only set up the action to contact BT, Sky, TalkTalk and Virgin Media. If you use another ISP, you can use this template letter to complain to them.
Dear [ISP name],
You will be aware of the judgement of the Court of Justice of the EU on 8 April 2014 in the Digital Rights Ireland case Joined Cases C-293/12 and C-594/12, which found the Data Retention Directive (Directive 2006/24/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 15 March 2006 on the retention of data generated or processed in connection with the provision of publicly available electronic communications services or of public communications networks and amending Directive 2002/58/EC) to be in breach of Articles 7 and 8 of the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights and Freedoms and Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights.
This is likely to have the effect of rendering unlawful the UK's regulations implementing that Directive, known as the Data Retention (EC Directive) Regulations 2009. Accordingly, any requirement imposed on you by the Regulations or otherwise by the UK Government is likely to be unlawful as it is in breach of those same fundamental rights.
I ask you as my ISP to confirm to me within 21 days that you shall not store any data relating to me for any period other than as strictly required for the provision of internet services to me i.e. as soon as any data ceases to be necessary for technological reasons only then it shall be automatically deleted. I also ask you to confirm that you shall delete any data already held in relation to me.
If you are not prepared to provide the assurances I seek, then I ask you to state on what authority you continue to retain my data and for what purpose. I also ask you to clarify what arrangements you currently have in place with the UK Government for the retention of my data.
Yours sincerely,

[Your name]

Just thought i would put it out there ,for those who like me feel that this collection of data is both unnecessary and an invasion of our privacy, But this government would rather keep us scared the unfounded fear of terrorist activity  blah blah blah ,

2 REPLIES 2
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Not sure where this is best placed

I am Sad to see
[quote= ]@D @Chris M - Yes it does apply to Plusnet but we've concentrated on the largest four providers here. Can you contact them using their Contact page? https://portal.plus.net/home-broadband/contact/
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Not sure where this is best placed

This is most informative http://aa.net.uk/kb-other-data-retention.html
Section 10(1)
Section 10(1) states These Regulations do not apply to a public communications provider unless the provider is given a notice in writing by the Secretary of State in accordance with this regulation. We have not had such a notice.

Reading the remainder of the above link it looks to me that the whole directive is a load of rubbish written by somebody who doesn't know what they are talking about. But then again it was written by civil servants