Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not booting back for help!

Waldo
Grafter

Re: Not booting back for help!

Quote from: Hairy
Well Mate and Cinnamon will be about for a while. Mate is used by other distro's as well as Mint, so it has a growing community. Gnome 3 & Unity may be the odd ones out, as few distros actually support them.

Given that Cinnamon was forked from gnome-shell and depends on GNOME3 it seems somewhat contradictory to suggest that Cinnamon will be around for a while but GNOME3 not.
FWIW Cinnarch, an Arch-based distro which defaulted to using Cinnamon, recently made the decision to revert to using gnome-shell.
Debian has dropped Gnome in favour of Xfce.

My desktop system runs Debian Sid with GNOME3; no sign of it being dropped.
It was reported that Xfce would become the default DE in Debian 7.0 but the latest tasksel commit shows GNOME as deafult.
Debian 6.x has LiveCD images for GNOME, KDE, LXDE, & Xfce and netinstall images; assuming 7.0 does likewise the choice of default DE is largely irrelevant (only likely to affect those who are installing  from the first CD/DVD image without access to the Debian repos).
My preferred method for installing Debian is from the netinstall image; install a base system with networking, boot to the new system, add any third-party repos (MATE for example), and install whatever I choose.