cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Receiving Emails at Additional Address

stuartandelis
Dabbler

Not Receiving Emails at Additional Address

I am using MS XP and Outlook Express.  In my Plusnet account I have created an additional email address for my wife, which she is able to use to send emails but cannot receive any replies.  She can send them to me, but those that I send to her seem to just disappear.  Under OE Tools>Accounts>Mail>Properties the settings for both accounts are the same.  Also, when I go to Plusnet Mailbox and log in only under my username (although I normally use OE), there is never anything there for her even though I know I have sent something.  However, I noticed that this mailbox is titled 'squirrelmail', which I have not come across before, and when I looked up my personal details in this mailbox I notice that the was only one email address down to my account and this was myusername@myusername.  Going to Plusnet>My Account, though, both my and my wife's email accounts are listed, alongside the postmaster account.  What do I need to do to fix this, please?
Yours,
Stuart Hall
15 REPLIES 15
James
Grafter

Re: Not Receiving Emails at Additional Address

Hi Stuart,
If you setup an additional mailbox, you will need to use a different logic.
So - My account username is "bailey" and I set up an additional mailbox called "james".
My login for that mailbox would then be "bailey+james" and using the password I chose for the mailbox.
Apologies is this is something you knew already!
stuartandelis
Dabbler

Thank you, Jameseh, for your reply.  but I'm afraid I am now more confused than before.  When I access Plusnet webmail I log in with my usename only - the email address name is not requested.  When I use Outlook Express I don't log in with a username; the Send/Receive All button seems to hover up all the outgoing messages and collects from my listed accounts (which includes my wife's account and others at my previous service provider).  Using this I can send emails using myname@stuartandelis.plus.com and mywifesname@stuartandelis.plus.com, but we can receive replies only from my own emails. 
Yours,
Stuart
paulby
Grafter

Have you set your wife's e-mail up in the Plusnet control panel as an alias on your mailbox or as a separate mailbox?
If it's a sepatrate mailbox you'll need to add a new account to OE but the user name becomes username+mailboxname (including the +) where the username is YOUR plusnet username.  The password will be whatever you set up when creating the mailbox.
If you set up an alias then mail should be delivered into your mailbox.
stuartandelis
Dabbler

Many thanks, Paul03.  My wife's email account was set up as a separate mailbox.  I have now added another new account to OE titled stuartandelis+wifesname, which failed (Host could not be found), and then changed it to stuartandelis+wifesname@stuartandelis.plus,com, which similarly failed.  I am not quite sure what I am to understand by 'mailboxname'.  However, I think we're getting closer. 
I am keen to persever with accessing the mailbox as it stands because I don't want to lose all the emails that I know have been sent to it.  Can you give me some more advice as to what to do now, please?
Yours,
Stuart
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Rather than keep trying using Outlook Express can you see if webmail works
https://webmail.plus.net/src/login.php
Login to webmail is username+wifesname with the password you set up for the account or your normal Plusnet password if you didn't set up a separate one
stuartandelis
Dabbler

Dear Oldjim,
I've done as you suggest, and the missing emails are there, thank you.  Is it now possible to fix OE for me, please?
Yours,
Stuart
paulby
Grafter

Stuart,
Have a look here.  It probably doesn't say much more than I've already said.  
Best bet is to check and see what you called the mailbox in your settings here.  (Member Centre>Email Settings>Manage My Mail if the link fails).
The mailbox username is the bit before the @ in the line marked "mailbox"  in the "type" column. (The first mailbox in the list is the default one i.e. yours.  This is normally followed by the "postmaster" alias and then by the next mailbox.)
If you logged into webmail OK then it's the same username that you need to put into OE.
Paul
Oldjim
Resting Legend

In Outlook Express the servers section should look like this with the blanked out bits being username+wifesname
pierre_pierre
Grafter

another thing, dont try and get the mails separated in one session of OE,  use one session on your log on to the computer with just the mail box for you,  and on you wifes log on another version of OE with just you wife e-mail box. It can be done in one log on session with IMAP instead of POP3
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You can download and separate them in one session in Outlook Express but you need to setup message rules to separate them otherwise they all finish up in one inbox
Santiago
Grafter

IIRC when I used OE you could set up separate identities in the same session for users to collect/send their mail
pierre_pierre
Grafter

in my case we have two laptops, mine and SWMBO, I was thinking of that situation, the way you describe Jim, whoever logs on downloads all to their separate mailboxes, not machines, but is you only have a rule to download your own mail thats all, it leaves the rest for the other person.
Works for me any way
Santiago
Grafter

From Outlook Express help
Manage multiple e-mail and newsgroup accounts
If you have several e-mail or newsgroup accounts, you can work with all of them within one window. You can also create multiple users, or identities, for the same computer. Each identity has unique e-mail folders and an individual Address Book. Multiple identities make it easy for you to keep work e-mail separate from personal e-mail, and also to keep individual users' e-mail separated.
paulby
Grafter

To create and manag identities you need to open OE and go to File>Identities.
Using File>Switch Identities will allow you to move between identities and keep separate inboxes for each identity.