cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nostalgia!

deekay
Grafter

Nostalgia!

I bought this computer eight months ago, and it has Windows7 installed by the manufacturer.
After all this time, I still wish that it was running XP, as my previous one did.  Sad
In my opinion, XP was more "useable and workmanlike". Windows7 is too much 'eye candy' and  "Hold my hand, darling. I will look after you".
I wonder if I am being too nostalgic, or if anyone agrees with me?
Cheers.
Keith
16 REPLIES 16
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Nostalgia!

I think all this GUI stuff is over-rated.  Oh for the good old days when the display just showed text or numbers and you could write your own software.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

You can strip windows 7 down so it looks really naff and uses less recources, I think Windows 7 is far superior to outdated X.P. in all different kinds of ways, Of course thats just my opinion. Smiley
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

+1 for Windows 7 in favour of XP.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Steve
You can strip windows 7 down so it looks really naff and uses less recources, I think Windows 7 is far superior to outdated X.P. in all different kinds of ways, Of course thats just my opinion. Smiley

Without going into great detail, how is this done and how stripped down can it be ?  In other words, is it controllable ?  What I already hate with XP is the loss of control from Windows 98, so the thought of Windows 7 sends shivers down my spine.  I hate these Wizards and automation because you never know where you are if you are at all technically savvy, and they seldom work satisfactorilly.  They are really designed for parrot-fashion users rather than someone with a modicum of knowledge.
As I may be forced to buy new hardware soon, as my laptop is nearing the end of its days after only four years, I am really dreading the move to Windows 7 for that reason and am full of foreboding - oh for the days of  MSDOS and Wordstar !
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The only change I made were to reinstate the start up bar, Lock down the start menu to show the ones I wanted and ignore the whole library system by creating start up icons to explorer which took me where I wanted
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Well If you want no eyecandy you can select the windows 7 classic theme which looks a bit like what Ive just done to show you in my attachment for a start. Smiley
No Aero glass effect, Aero Peek etc...
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I see that your ip address is 89.241.xxx.xxx  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Steve
Seasoned Pro

was Wink
shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Thanks for the info.  That is all quite re-assuring.
HaydnExport
Grafter

pretty sure you can run windows 7 in xp mode , dunno why anyone would want to tho, i think 7 is great , miles better than vista
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Think you have to purchase windows 7 Pro for the XP mode, I believe its already on the disc on Premium but you need to unlock it so to speak.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Premium allows you to run a program in XP Mode but not as a virtual XP system
Steve
Seasoned Pro

You ever needed to use that Oldjim?
Denzil
Grafter

I think W7 is superior in terms of security, and there are some features that are easier then previous versions, but they have gone over the top in the nannying. The nannying is too complicated for beginners to understand, and too restrictive for the experts. It is also very demanding on resources. There was a thread somewhere here recently about boot times, for example. This W7, quad core CPU, 8GB RAM box takes 2 1/2 minutes to start before I can do anything. My dual core 2GB Linux Mint box at home is ready in 45 seconds. (Note: I am not turning this into a 'Linux is better' thread  :), just using it as an example of how bloated W7 is.)