Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Norton Internet security 2008

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Norton Internet security 2008

I've noted all the arguments in these and previous forums, about the futility of using Norton Internet Security products against other (some free) AV. But I've never quite bitten the bullet and changed from Norton, indeed have just installed the 2008 upgrade version. And I must say it doesn't seem quite (quote) as bloated as previous versions, and a rather smart updated interface. Certainly the "Live Update" is a lot less complex...maybe a bit too simple!! Odd isn't it, on one hand we complain that too much unnecessary information is being given during updates, then probably in response to criticism Norton removes it, we then complain we're not getting enough information...never happy are we?
However I did/have encountered some problems, I found that seemingly all the indications were (systray icons, browser etc.) that all was Ok, but I couldn't actually open the programme or the live update etc. from the desktop or indeed anywhere else. This only started after I some time later installed the included "add-on-pack" I haven't seen anywhere yet on the Norton website a fix for this. Uninstalling the add-on-pack resolved the initial problem.
Has anybody else encountered this?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
13 REPLIES 13
Midville
Grafter

Re: Norton Internet security 2008

I have recently moved from NAV2007 to ESET SS, I have really noticed how quick it is compare with NAV. I also like how it updates the definitions, everyday compared with weekly.
Sorry its not exactly what your were asking.
mystery
Grafter

I had always used Norton until a few months ago and I realised just what effect it was having on my computer. Somehow it had managed to disable my ability to do a system restore, it had also affected the way some of my programs behaved and used up a vast amount of memory, as well as being extremely slow when doing virus scans.  There were also times when it would not pick up serious viruses which I had to find other methods of removal for.
When the date came near for my renewal, I decided to look for something else and was pointed toards Eset Nod32.  It is the best thing I ever did and have had no problems since. In fact on installing Nod32 it instantly picked up a virus that had not been picked up by Norton, or any other software I have.
If you decide to use Nod32 make sure you uninstall any other virus software first to prevent clashes and problems to your computer.
Also, beware that when you uninstall Norton, it leaves files on your computer which in my case continued to cause problems. I have now fully erased norton using the Norton Removal Tool. My computer is now in perfect working order and I can use system restore once again.  Note I did find that Norton attempted to re-install itself from the website following reboot after using the norton removal tool, which I thought was a bit cheeky.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

If any new clients have norton installed I always recommend it is removed and a proper A/V firewall solution installed due to having so many problems with Norton in the past. Also Norton is very difficult to remove completely as the uninstall always leaves things behind, often to the detriment of other applications.
Often other issues they had mysteriously go away after it is removed!
For the freebies I stick with ZoneAlarn Firewall and AVG Free for A/V. For Commercial use I recommend Trend Micro security suite
petlew
Pro

This one's been around a while. I very recently said "to hell with the Norton credit days left" and uninstalled it in favour of AVG AV/anti-spy, and another AVG (free) product called anti-root although this doesn't seem to do very much, but that may simply be there's nothing to find!!
Quite a few years ago I used ZA a lot, it used to be free but, doesn't seem to be now, I don't resent paying for it but, is it any better than the bundled with Vista MS firewall?
Didn't experience "that" much problem uninstalling the Norton/live Update etc., but followed it up with "searches" for Norton and Symantec to root out as much as I could...probably still some lurking about somewhere though...

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
paulby
Grafter

Have to agree about NOD32.
I took Norton off all the PCs in the house and moved to NOD.  I've since upgraded to ESET SmartSecurity which includes a bi-directional firewall.
If you want a paid solution ESET SS and NOD32 are pretty good.  They're not the resourse hog that Norton is and your subscription includes program updates (just updated from Version 2 to Version 3) as well as signature files.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

This may be starting a new topic, as it is a "copy & paste" from the AVG anti root program mentioned above......
Except that I can`t "copy" it in the usual manner....
What is a root kit, and what does it do?
To find threats your Anti viru and Anti malware has to  scan all files on your computer and check them for destructive code.  Rootkits enable threats like trojans or worms to hide themselves so that conventional security products and windows applications cannot see the threat  on the hard disk and therefore can`t detect and disable it.

Give rootkits no chance.
This tool helps you find, disarm and delete rootkits which are already installed on your computer.  For your future protection it is recommended to install a solution that prevents rootkits from even being installed. 
AVG security products offer you this protection.....

End of quote..
There are  words that interest me in reading this .... in the second  paragraph it states  "already installed"  and later on  "for your future protection...."  One way to read this means it will ONLY find those rootkits (and fix them) that are "already installed" ....... and you need to get another version " for your future protection"....
So does this version only act in that way, or does it provide "ongoing" protection when run?????  Huh
petlew
Pro

Uhmm! thanks for the angle on this shutter. I recall the setup download for anti-root referred to it as a beta version. so perhaps it's not yet complete and, there maybe a trial group involved with this I suppose...don't know, I did notice though that it would only run as administrator, which none of the other AVG products I've got require.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Have just done a scan with the anti root  prog, and it returned a "nothing found" report,  so it would seem it does "work" for a subsequent scan, and not just the original install...  I do run two anti malware progs occaisionally, and they also return "nothing found"..... I don`t know whether this is because every time I shut down the computer (at night) I do a run of "crapcleaner", to get rid of all cookies and other traces, which could possibly help hackers & virus attacks.....
By the way I don`t know about a beta version,  I downloaded mine, and it runs without permission, in other words just like the avg virus scan..... no passwords, etc..,
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Zone Alarm is still free but they dont half confuse you when you install, they keep trying to persuade you click on the paid version, Also it is no longer supported on pre XP versions of Windows, up grades are still advised for XP (just done one)
mystery
Grafter

You can completely remove all files associated with any Norton programmes you have/have had on your computer by downloading and running the 'Norton Removal Tool'.  It is a free programme. But beware as soon as this removal is complete, if you are online Norton somehow picks up on the fact it is no longer on your computer and attempts to re download from their site. Just close the browser immediately to stop this.
jono
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

Hi,
          I like petlew have upgraded to Norton Internet Security 2008, I say upgraded, I actually bought it in a sale at PC World and I think it was cheaper than upgrading from Norton 2007, it cost £24-99. the problem mystery mentioned with System Restore can be rectified by going into settings and deselecting the box ( Protect Norton files or words to that affect) its because Norton protects its own files and therefore stops Restore points from working correctly.
My son has Norton 360 and I was tempted to get that, but it has no way of getting over the restore point setting problem, i must agree with petlew Norton Internet Security seems to be a lot better than previous versions, I have tried quite a few but always ended up going back to Norton.
jono
petlew
Pro

As I said a few posts in here further back; I ditched Norton 2008 NIS in favour of the free AVG product, and very pleased that I did, it really is excellent. Just kicking myself for wasting 40 odd quid for NIS and only using it for a month or so. I just recommend you don't use the "add-on pack" it caused me nothing but trouble, for what "seemed" to be just pretty useless embellishments. 

jono
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

hi petlew, Never tried AVG myself, my son tried a few years back and had no problems, I must admit i have had no problems with the add on Pack but if I had I would have been tempted to try another product, trouble is you get used to using one product. I did try Panda once , it was a 30day trial I think, but could not get away with it, when I was using M.E. I used to run Norton Anti Virus and Zone Alarm free which served well.
Trouble is with Norton is the Customer Service, my experience with them in the past has left a lot to be desired.
hope the AVG serves you well
jono