cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia announces netbook offering

Santiago
Grafter

Nokia announces netbook offering

If this is as good as their phones, I want to get one.
Nokia Booklet (Nokia)
The Booklet has 3G, Bluetooth, and wi-fi connectivity
The world's largest manufacturer of mobile phones will join the PC market with its Booklet 3G netbook.
The Windows-based device is about 2cm thick and will offer 3G connectivity as well as wi-fi.
Analysts said the laptop was a "natural extension" of the company's product range but the firm would face stiff competition.

Nokia will release price and availability information at an event in Stuttgart on 2 September.
The Booklet has an aluminium case, weighs 1.25 kilograms (2.75 lbs) and its 10-inch screen is HD-ready.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8219005.stm
5 REPLIES 5
Be3G
Grafter

Re: Nokia announces netbook offering

Quote from: Santiago
If this is as bad as their phones, I don't want to get one.

Small correction for you there. Smiley
Santiago
Grafter

Cheek!
I think Nokia make very good telephones, those I have had have been very well made, well featured, easy to use and reliable. I hope the netbooks are the same.
mal0z
Grafter

Well - Nokia made PC's and VDU's a few years ago - but they sold the business about 10 years ago.
I am presently writing this looking at a Nokia 447PRO flat screen monitor . http://press.nokia.com/PR/199903/777134_5.html
So no doubt they have entered a partnership with a suitable company. They have a history of buying companies with good ideas and products.

Nokia did far far more than cellphones, for which they are rightly famous.
They started out in wood products ( Finland has lots of trees ), they then sold paper to cable manufacturers ( as cable insulation ) - they then bought the cable manufacturers, - then they were involved with the telecommunications industry using these cables, so they moved into line telecommunications, digital multiplexers etce, the into radio systems - and then into the mobile radio industry by buying Mobira about late 1980's .
Then they supplied Cellnet UK ( was BT, but since sold to 02 ) with the switch and base station infrastructure to operate GSM cellphones - and then Orange ( now part of France telecom ) and also Vodafone etc etc .
They also made basic things like rubber boots for you to walk in, car and truck rubber tyres. http://www.nokiantyres.com/
But they sold most of these businesses in the 1990's/2000 to concentrate on GSM/3G + mobile phone technology.
sorry if that is brief and not totally accurate - it's late and I'm tired. .
http://www.nokia.com/about-nokia/company/story-of-nokia

chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: Santiago
Cheek!
I think Nokia make very good telephones, those I have had have been very well made, well featured, easy to use and reliable. I hope the netbooks are the same.

Guess that you have never owned a so called Nokia `Smart phone`. The last three Nokia's work have given me have all been return in favour of an old 6230i. Basicly because it works as a phone. The features on the others were great, but call quality was a joke.
Santiago
Grafter

Yes I have had three Nokia smartphones.
6600 from 2004, no problems, still working and on standby as family spare (there are 2 iffy samsungs here too)
N70 from early 2006 problem free and currently being use by my teenage son as as phone and mp3 player
I currently have a N73 that is over two years old. I have not had a problem with it. I use it as a phone, camera, MP3 player and tomtom satnav.
I have not had a problem with call quality.
Having said all that, the best phone ever was my nokia 6310i