Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy Laptop

southken
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Noisy Laptop

I have just bought a HPG61 laptop and it is the first laptop I have had which makes a noise.  When I first switch it on it is really noisy coming from the top left hand side, where the fan is, after about half an hour it goes a bit quieter but still isn't silent.  Do you think this is normal for a new machine. 
5 REPLIES 5
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Noisy Laptop

Depends....
on quality of machine - higher quality (i.e. cost) will tend to use higher quality components or are designed to run quieter or be lighter.
on spec - higher spec machines will run hotter and thus need a faster/noisier fan
on how you use it. Doing processor intensive work (even things like watching video) can mean the processor works harder so needs to be cooled more.
on where it is located. If you use it on your lap cooling may be impaired so the fan runs for longer/faster
Laptop cooling is temperature sensitive with the fan speed controlled. When it gets hot the fan speeds up and gets noisier, when it cools down the fan speed reduces and it gets quieter.
There is no simple yes or no to your question.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

If you bought it from a local shop I suggest you take it back and get them to try another one to see if it is the same.  It's hard to be unambiguously sure that your fan is faulty but noise is not a good sign.  The only thing worse than a noisy fan is a fan that makes no noise at all because it has stopped working!
Not applicable

Noise is very subjective, particularly if this is the first laptop.  We had a 17" Fujitsu and that was quite noisy fan-wise - it seemed to be cutting in very often indeed and used to annoy me as I have very sensitive hearing.  I took it back to the shop, had it swapped, and the second one was just the same but I never liked it and sold it on.  It was in very good condition and the current owner is delighted with it.  On the other hand my current laptop, a Sony is extremely quiet, so I would go with comments above regarding the make and quality.
Possibly it might be useful to ask someone with experience to give their opinion of it - or even a few people.
Then you could always take it back as RR has advised, which is a good starting point.
southken
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Thanks for your replies, I will see how it goes over the next week or so.  Now it seems to have settled down a bit, it's really noisy for about ten minutes then goes quiet, I think it is annoying because I am not used to laptops making a sound. 
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

The laptop fan shouldnt turn on at a noisy level when you start it up (unless the laptop is hot). Run "HWMonitor" (Google it)  to check the temp of the laptop. My DV9702 laptop is known to overheat, so after about 45mins - 1hour, the fan comes on at quite a noise. When I boot up, sometimes the fan turns on with the fan at full blast for 5 seconds at the BIOS. Then it quietens down and all is well. I would think that you should ask HP Support - they should have some answers.
Also, Keep the laptop on a hard surface if possible - it will reduce noise and extend the life of your laptop.
Generally, HP's are good quality - Im not sure at the G61 - Ive never used it. Il do some reaserch and post back.
Hope that helps.