Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No sound with Flash

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

No sound with Flash

When I play a flash video (like the xbox.com page I get no sound. Is there an easy fix for this?
6 REPLIES 6
techguy
Grafter

Re: No sound with Flash

Are the sounds from Windows OK?
the_groundsman
Rising Star

Yep no problems there and Itunes plays fine.
It's just the flash
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I get similar problems with my Laptop - XP SP3  on some applications the sound is vertually non existant, go to sound profiles and all at the full throttle,  cant find what is affecting the current application, next time OK - Oh what wonders these machines are
minkey
Rising Star

Groundsman,
I have just gone to xbox.com and initially there is no sound on the flash homepage (when the XBOX is selected) but if I select another option eg FAMILY or PARTY there is sound. Have you selected anything other than XBOX?
Jeff
techguy
Grafter

Just tested on xbox yes and can second Jeff's comments
Try and make sure that the use only default devices is ticked in control panel but in all honesty I'm not sure whether flash drives the sound hardware, I'm assuming its via DirectX calls (I'm not a programmer by any stretch)
One thing I have observed though is that sometimes the Windows Audio service can crash (can be the result of bugs in the sound drivers), it maybe worth trying to check on its status after you notice the problem, this can be done via the Services management snap-in:
in XP:
1. Start > Run and tyoe services.msc and click OK
2. Scroll down the list and look for Windows Audio, if running it will say started under status, if it has crashed or Service Control Manager cannot determine its status, status will be blank (it cannot determine if the service has an error so a service restart maybe a good idea anyway)
In Vista:
1. Start and then start to type services, it will appear under the programs category, click to open it (note in Vista there is an additional service called Windows Audio Endpoint Builder, I believe this is involved in the managment of streaming media from Windows servers but make sure this is also running)
To start/restart a service:
Click on it in the list and then click the Start or restart options in the left pane (you will see a progress bar while the service is being stopped and then restarted)
It's always a good idea to check you have the latest drivers for your sound hardware too, check your PC (or laptop) manufacturer's website)
the_groundsman
Rising Star

Shocked
Clicked Party, waited about 30 seconds - Music to my ears.
Sorry should have been a bit more patient.
Not great design though!
Thanks for your help