Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No internet

nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Re: No internet

OK. Just to check, when you looked at the services list, I know you said there was nothing that looked like Bonjour Service, but that string I quoted which started with two hash symbols was definitely not there? What you are getting is typical of the Bonjour Service stopping the network initialising. Check again.
If it's definitely not there, try the Metric change.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Petlew
The unrecognised one is noted as "managed" my is "unmanaged"

I wonder if part of the problem is the wireless adapter has ended up stuck in ad-hoc mode and needs setting back to "infrastructure" or "managed" mode via its device properties in Device Manager.
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Thanks ejs, I've already looked at that.
I know its a very drastic answer but, the "faulty" PC is fairly new, with very little software loaded on it, and no data as such. It was purchased as a replacement for the ageing laptop (I'm using now) I just from time to time make adjustments to essentials; browser, email so that when the day comes that the old one expires I can seamlessly change over to the new one, important data is backed up to external devices ready to be loaded when required. It is the reason I don't answer to your suggestions particularly quickly.
The accidental unscheduled shut-down occurred during the downloading or initialising of updates, I don't know exactly when I wasn't in the room at the time. (this actually prompted a thread in chit-chat on a similar theme)
So, I am toying with the idea of re-formatting the C drive and re-installing Windows and starting again from scratch. At this stage of the PC's life I will lose very little except time.
Your thoughts on this drastic approach?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Works for software problems but not for faulty hardware.
nozzer
Hero

So, I am toying with the idea of re-formatting the C drive and re-installing Windows and starting again from scratch. At this stage of the PC's life I will lose very little except time.

I don't understand why you are so reluctant to try some of our much less complicated suggestions.
petlew
Pro

Having been stung into action Embarrassed
@nozzer I have PM'd a print form the CMD route print.
I changed the metric value to 1 as suggested
All the other suggestion proved negative, including the Device Manager, the properties doesn't show managed or unmanaged so has no option to change it.
There is no entry for Bonjour on the faulty PC There are no (known) Apple products on it, not even Quicktime. A Start/Search/Apple returned zero.
No the machine has never used McAfee.
I have not yet tried uninstalling the Network drivers (Mav)

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nozzer
Hero

PM'd back. Is the string starting with two hashes definitely not there????
petlew
Pro

No! I tried a search for it, no returns either.
dick:quote

nozzer
Hero

Might not show up in a normal Windows search because it's not a file, it's a registry entry. You have to literally look at the services list as I described.
petlew
Pro

Something really curious has happened. The faulty PC has started working normally again for what appears no apparent reason. I have diligently tried all the suggestions by nozzer, ReedRichards, Mav and others by PM. But nothing worked or changed the position it has been in for several weeks. nozzer in particular has been working with me for most of the afternoon without any obvious change, indeed we both pretty well came to the conclusion that a re-install of Window (see another thread) was probably the way to go.
I'm grateful to all those who have contributed to the problem.