Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No icons or desktop in xp

juliasdream
Grafter

No icons or desktop in xp

Somethings up with my win xp
it appears to boot up ok until it gets to the desktop, or what should be the desktop.
All I get is the wallpaper and nothing else.
No icons and no taskbar at the bottom
Not even the start button
If I click on Ctrl + alt + delete i get the taskmanager
If I go to files + New task + browse i can get into programs that way
Sometimes, but only sometimes when i close the program I opened the desktop decides to come up
Also sometimes when I try to open programs in this way the whole computer freezes and i can only turn off at the wall plug
I can get into safe mode ok

I have already
ran ccleaner
defragmented hard drive
ran diskcheck from a reboot
The computer is an AMD Athlon 1.15ghz with 256mb ram
I want to add another 256mb ram but would like to sort out this problem first
Can anyone advise?
Thanks
12 REPLIES 12
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Re: No icons or desktop in xp

When you load Task Manager, is explorer.exe a running process?
ed
Grafter

Is your computer overclocked?
Sounds unstable. Try setting the BIOS settings to the recommended default values.
7th_star
Grafter

When you experience this and you open task manager, try to find if any of the processes running are using excessive system ram (esp. as you have so little to play with) and/or cpu time.
Also check if your fans are running inside the computer and that they and their heat sinks are not clogged with dust.
juliasdream
Grafter

Thanks for all the suggestuions so far
Yes Explorer shows to be running ok in the Task Manager
I set the BIOS to original defaults
Explorer is using the most RAM at 19,000kb
For good measure I just added 512Mb RAM making it now 768Mb
The difference is noticable when computer is running normally
but the problem is still there on start up.
Windows loads up ok but when I click on a user the next screen is just wallpaper like before
It takes a very long time for icons and taskbar to come up
I ran eventvwr and found the following WARNING coming up over and over since last May
If anyone who understands it all could flip through it for me I'd be grateful for any advice
Thanks
--------------------------------------
Applications:
Warning:
Source: Usernv
Windows saved user SBK1800-256-1\General User registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.
This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.
--------------------------------------------------------
2.10.07 Error Source Security center
The Windows Security Center Service was unable to establish event queries with WMI to monitor third party AntiVirus and Firewall.
----------------------------------------------------------
5.10.07 Error Source SENS
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( SENS ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Event System Win32 Error: No service is operating at the destination network endpoint on the remote system.
, ServiceStart(): SensInitialize() failed.
-------------------------------------------------------------
5.10.07 Error Source Application Error
Faulting application McNASvc.exe, version 1.2.108.0, faulting module McNASvc.exe, version 1.2.108.0, fault address 0x0000f9b8.
--------------------------------------------------------------
5.10.07 Source Event System
The COM+ Event System detected an inconsistency in its internal state.  The assertion "GetLastError() == 122L" failed at line 201 of d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\shared\sectools.cpp.  Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.
------------------------------------------------------------
Under Security I got the following a couple of times:
IPSec Services: IPSec Services has experienced a critical failure and has shut down with error code: The network connection was aborted by the local system.
. Stopped IPSec Services can be a potential security hazard to the machine. Please contact your machine administrator to re-start the service.
Under System
7.10.07 source W32Time
The time provider 'NtpClient' failed to start due to the following error: A system call that should never fail has failed. (0x8007277B)
and The time service is configured to use one or more input providers, however, none of the input providers are available. The time service has no source of accurate time.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
7.10.07 source Service Control Management
The DHCP Client service hung on starting.
then
The WebClient service has reported an invalid current state 10107.
then
The WebClient service hung on starting.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Warning. source Dhcp
The DHCP Client service is shutting down. The following error occurred :
A system call that should never fail has failed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7.10.07 source Service Control Manager
The Remote Access Connection Manager service terminated with service-specific error 3221356592 (0xC0020030).
samuria
Grafter

Its knackered. Other than that can you login as another user? If there is no other account can you create one and then try and login?
It sound as if the profile is knackered so a new user may have more luck.
Have you tried F8 on startup and used last known good configeration?
Try starting the services that have failed if you can get to them
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: juliasdream
I ran eventvwr and found the following WARNING coming up over and over since last May

Don't suppose it would be possible to use "system restore" selecting a date prior to when the problem first occurred?
Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Your Windows is broken.
Take backups of all valuable data onto CD/DVD if possible.
Reinstall everything.
Do not plan to go out for a few days...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

juliasdream
Grafter

Thanks for all suggestions so far
I have tried them all and none worked
It looks like I',m going to have to format the gard drive and re-install everything after all
A last resort I was trying to avoid
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Before going for a full reinstall I suggest trying this http://www.informationweek.com/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=189400897 which will allow you to retain all your settings, software, data, etc.
EDIT - wrong word - thanks Penny
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Oldjim
Before going for a full restore I suggest trying this http://www.informationweek.com/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=189400897 which will allow you to retain all your settings, software, data, etc.

Doesn't "System Restore" (start - all programs - accessories - system tools - system restore) leave the software and data intact?
You'll appreciate my lack of technical know-how Smiley  but if some item of (eg) software stops working, I use System Restore to flip back a week, or however long, and it all just works again.
I have no idea *how* it does it, you understand, but no data seems to get lost in the process.
Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

5.10.07 Error Source Application Error
Faulting application McNASvc.exe, version 1.2.108.0, faulting module McNASvc.exe, version 1.2.108.0, fault address 0x0000f9b8.

Before you go the whole hog and format and reinstall, the problem seems to be with your McAfee virus scanner or Security suite (whichever you have). The first two messages can often be caused by a faulty scanning module.
Try this as a start;
Disconnect your computer from the internet by unplugging the modem, cable or whatever you use to connect (you will be running without protection).
Turn your computer on.
When you get to the desktop with a task bar click ‘start’ then ‘run’ and in the input box type msconfig and click the [OK] button.
With msconfig open click the ‘radio button’, ‘selective startup’ then click the box ‘Load Startup Items’ to remove the tick in the box.
Click the [Apply] button and shut down and restart you computer.
This should stop all your virus scanners etc from starting.
If you now reach a desktop faster and your icons return the problem lies in something that starts in the ‘Startup items’ list.
So do the same as above but this time click the ‘Startup’ tab and enable one item at a time, shutting down and restarting each time until the culprit shows up.
If the above does not allow you to get to a desktop any faster then I’m afraid I have to agree with others it might be faster to back up your data and reinstall from a clean format.
Couple of edits cause my spell checker can't spell  ;D.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

You married the wrong spell checker
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine