cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No devices working on network - help!

alchemiculte

No devices working on network - help!

Everything set up and working fine for some time, then literally overnight anything using the internet has stopped working.

All devices appear to be connected to the network and show up as connected when logged into the router, but when trying to do anything internet relating (e.g. internet browsing, updating apps, streaming media) everything times out or comes up with various 'you have no connection to the internet' messages. That is a TV, laptop, PS4, a tablet and 2 smartphones that are currently not working.

Laptop, tablet and phones have all been connected to other wireless networks in other locations and all worked fine, so I don't think this is a device issue. I have been onto PlusNet Support who cannot locate a problem with our connection and sent us a new router (which arrived this morning) but still the same problems with the new router installed.

I will be back onto PlusNet later this afternoon, but in the meantime does anyone have any suggestions what might have happened? Or any ideas on how to fix?

7 REPLIES 7
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: No devices working on network - help!

are all these devices wireless?
if yes, have you tried connecting via ethernet ?
alchemiculte

I have tried connecting via ethernet on laptop and PS4, it makes no difference.

The other devices are all wireless only or wireless/mobile data unfortunately.

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

are the devices getting a valid IP address from the router?
can the devices access the router admin page?
on the laptop, if you open a command prompt, what happens when you ping bbc.co.uk ?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Are all the lights on the router green (definitely not red)?

If so its a router configuration problem.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

have you tired unplugging your router form the power socket for 20 minutes then plugging it back in and seeing if you regain internet access ? ( your original router that is)

did you do manual setup on the new router or did it just not connect at all ?

its possible the factory reset button (normally paperclip operated) on the side of the router will help you out but only if you know both your account details, (you can get them from the member centre on the main website) you could try manually entering them whilst your router is unplugged from the phone line, then once setup is complete if your line is still not working it would be a problem with the connection between your property and the exchange, I had one a few years ago where the line installer had unplugged my line from the modem card so he could access a different card and forgotten to put it back after the job.....

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

@alchemiculte wrote:

...I have been onto PlusNet Support who cannot locate a problem with our connection and sent us a new router (which arrived this morning) but still the same problems with the new router installed.

So it looks as if your internet connection has failed and it doesn't look as if the problem is the router (because you have tried two of them).  But Plusnet Support think you are connected (although presumably they can see that you are not managing any internet usage).  At face value this would probably be a fault in the telephone exchange equipment.  Plusnet Support would probably have got you to run some tests at your end and then called out an Openreach Engineer if everything failed.  Is that what happened?   

alchemiculte

@chenks76 Yes, all getting valid IP addresses, managed to access the router admin page on all devices. Pinged bbc.co.uk on the laptop, it came back as a connection failure. Also tried route trace on BBC, on 26/30 lines the response was 'request timed out'. That is as far as my limited technical knowledge goes!!

@VileReynard There is only one light on the router, which is meant to be blue, and it is blue. I have looked on router configuration but can't see anything obviously wrong - everything is set as default.

@nanotm Yes I have tried leaving it unplugged for about half an hour and then restarting. My partner set up the new router (went straight for the wireless, didn't bother to try and plug anything in via Ethernet first) so I unplugged everything and went through the whole process again when I got home last night. Still no joy.

@nanotm and @ReedRichards I think you are both probably right, it seems like the problem is probably at the exchange. Last time we had a problem, a contractor had knocked out the landline and we didn't notice for about 2 months as we very rarely use it!

Thanks for your help and suggestions everyone, I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything really stupidly obvious. Back to PlusNet to arrange an engineer...