Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 'Unread Posts' at startup.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

No 'Unread Posts' at startup.

Can anyone suggest a reason why when I open the Forums in Firefox in the morning and click on 'Unread Posts' it reports no unread topics since your last visit.
But if I look down the list of forums I can see quite a few new posts since my last visit.
I didn't used to have this issue and I currently run 3.5.3.
I get the same in IE.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
13 REPLIES 13
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: No 'Unread Posts' In Firefox

are they definitely unread or are they posts that have been edited.  This is a fault I have reported several times
Strat
Community Veteran

Re: No 'Unread Posts' In Firefox

Definitely unread not edited.
Your was immediate but is a reply to my post and not a separate thread which is a different thing I suspect.
This one for example is today's post before I fired up FF but I only know about it by scrolling through the board list.
Edit: I've changed the thread title as it is not restricted to Firefox.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: No 'Unread Posts' at startup.

the only other thing of this type I have had  if I Exit Firefox with unread post in the Forum and then go back into a new copy of Firefox it doesnt find those unread post only new ones since then,  doesnt always happen though
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

Some time ago I remember I had a similar problem when I visited the Community Site first, read a comment on a posting, and then came to the Forum to find the unread posts blank - no idea why. I've resolved the problem since then by always visiting the Forum first Wink
Cliff
Strat
Community Veteran

Thank Whiffler but I have a link on my desktop directly to Unread Posts which is usually my first port of call so that's not it....
Once FF is up and running for the day it starts collecting Unread Posts...as it is currently doing. Undecided
James
Grafter

@ Strat
I often get that problem at home when I open http://community.plus.net
To counter the problem I open http://community.plus.net/forum instead which will always display posts.
It's a bit of a pain, but it works.
But apparently that won't work for you Sad
Strat
Community Veteran

No James I go straight to Wok http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=unread Smiley
James
Grafter

I'll ask Colin.
Oh wait...
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'd suspect a problem with your login or similar cookie. Try logging out then logging in again using the Always stay logged in option to refresh the cookies.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

Yup - I've had a chat with James in Web Dev and he thinks it might be cookie or session related.
Strat
Community Veteran

Yes I do normally have the 'stay logged in' box ticked.
I'll try logging out after each session.
Thanks guys Smiley
scootie
Grafter

I get this to.
I hadnt bein on the forum all weekend and on logging in on monday i was met with no unread posts.
Ive had this happen to me before as well. Ive checked make sure no auto clear of cookies is enabled and on ocasion sumtimes a few logouts an logins have done the trick but yestrday i had to use the all unread topics option
i tend to just leave it on 60 min login but it does seem to happen around the times ive used the stay loged in
Lurker
Grafter

Used to happen to me occasionally due to cookies badness, delete said errant cookie and all is happy with the world moving forwards.
Alternatively
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=unread;all
(Note the end of the URL - always works and is good in my experience. Wink )