Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Sound - Help!

hulls
Grafter

No Sound - Help!

Hi
While on my PC this evening, I suddenly realised the sound wasn't working.  I checked all the plugs and so on and then did a restart.  At which point Windows detected new hardware (a Multimedia Audio Controller and a SM Bus Controller)  I can only assume this is the reason for no sound, presumably for some reason the computer "lost", in the same way it "lost" my printer a few weeks ago.
However the wizard did not find the drivers for these, and obviously I have no idea where to find them either.
Can anyone help?
John
5 REPLIES 5
magnetism2772
Grafter

Re: No Sound - Help!

Multimedia Audio Controller driver
get the make of your sound card Once you have that info, go to the manufacturers website and get the proper driver..
Sm bus controller is is system management bus controller which manages the motherboard functions like voltage, temperature and power like things....
when u install Microsoft windows to any desktop having intel chipsets motherboard u see a yellow exclamation mark in device manager having heading SM BUS CONTROLLER,,,,install it using ur motherboard drivers cd by installing chipset driver....
you need your motherboard details then go to to the intel  website
magnetism2772
Grafter

you can try also this
(I  dont have a windows CD as i'm on OEM pre installed with new pc )
all the drivers  normally can be found on this if you have a windows CD , DVD  i believe
and just  install saying i have disk and point it to your CD drive ie drive E:\
when using your hardware wizard
hulls
Grafter

Thanks Giro
I had a brainwave, and tried a system restore to yesterday's settings, and that seems to have worked, apart from messing up my Thunderbird update from this evening, which I suppose I should be able to re-install (hopefully without losing all of my emails in the process  Undecided
For reference - the sound card is on board the Motherboard (I believe it's a Realtek)
And I don't have the installation disks

John
magnetism2772
Grafter

yw
i dont have windows either,
but tomorrow download the latest audio driver from the realtek website and copy it to a floppy disc
it  may have extra usable  audio functions 
then armed with your motherboard details head over to intel and download  your motherboard chipset drivers 
hulls
Grafter

Thanks again - lessons learned.
John