cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Internet Access On Laptop

Akiiraja_96

No Internet Access On Laptop

I hope someone can assist me.

I have plus net home broadband. My laptop was working fine but all of a sudden stopped connecting to the internet. When i connect to the wifi it reads as connected but i cannot access the internet. I've tried multiple browsers.

All my other devices seem to work fine.

The laptop also will connect to any other hotspot but the internet will not work.

I am running Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Any info would help.

Thank you
5 REPLIES 5
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: No Internet Access On Laptop

Check your router is connected to the phone socket, power etc.. then try turning it off and on again. If that works great but if not then you need to get more technical.

Depending on your router make / model you'll need to login to the admin pages and see if you can see your laptop connected to it and if so what ip address it has - typically starting with 192.168.X

Also this could potentially be a laptop fault. My partners played up for ages and would not work online at all. It turned out to be a duff device driver for the wifi adapter that is built into the machine - it wasn't handling the WPA encryption properly and when connecting to an unsecured wifi network the internet would suddenly work again but the moment it reconnected to our secure wifi it was useless. Actually trying that would probably be my first port of call rather than the above advice..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
22over7
Rising Star

Some questions i'd ask:

1. Does the laptop have an IP address?  Open a "command window", and type in "ipconfig".  Depending on how you are connected, you should see something that tells you the IP address of your laptop, and the IP address of your router.
  2. Can you ping the router?  I'll assume it has address 192.168.1.254. (Could be 192.168.1.1). Type in "ping 192.168.1.254". You should see something that suggests the router is replying to these pings. At this point, you can feel fairly confident you're connected to your home network in a basic way. Now, for "the internet"...
  3. Now try "ping 8.8.8.8" (a google machine). If that replies, you're getting there. You're sort-of on the internet.   
  4. Now try "ping bbc.co.uk" (ie, using a name rather than an IP address). If *that* replies, then you really are "connected to the internet".  The problem then maybe the problem is something to do with your browser setting. (If it doesn't reply, then there is probably something wrong with DNS settings on your laptop.) 

Sorry, I don't have an accessible Windows machine. And these are just rough-and-ready steps I usually take when someone has a problem like yours. 90% of the time they help at least to pin down where the problem lies.   So: do all 4 things work?  If not, what's the first thing that fails?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

What happens if you connect the laptop to the router via an ethernet cable rather than wireless?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

frogsol

I expect someone has set a static IP address and static DNS address on the laptop’s wireless interface. This would allow the laptop to connect to WiFi but, it would not commutate as it’s using the wrong IP address range.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

You could try renewing the IP address. Open a cmd prompt and enter:

ipconfig /release

Enter

ipconfig /renew

Enter 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'