Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Generation Linux ?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Next Generation Linux ?

@Shep41 wrote:
Let's just say for arguments sake, if you install mint in the evening. Would that make it an after eight mint? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Very Droll !.... CheesyGrinCheesy

Only ,   IF,,   it were downloaded,   and installed...... After Eight ! ! ...

And you could celebrate with WINE 6.0 in celebration of breaking away from WIndows ..... SmileySmileySmiley

Shep41
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 6

@shutter. And you call me droll lol😝😆😆😆
TheRoadCrew
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

@MrAllen2021 wrote:

At the moment I'm trying to run Unity under Linux Debian, and annoyingly the tutorials on Unity.com frequently crash back to the Desktop on my Linux powered Chromebox! 😠

Sounds like your ChromeOS has Crostini enabled and is running Debian in a Linux Container. 

Apparently the version of Linux my Chrome OS PC runs isn't officially supported.

I'm not familiar with Unity (nor do I have access to ChromeOS); I notice there is a UnityHub Flatpak - is that what you're using?

AIUI Flatpaks generally run everything - app, shared libs, runtimes etc - in a sandboxed environment; if that's what you are using it may be the default configuration isn't suited to running in a container. Might be worth asking on the Crostini sub-reddit.

Alternatively, you might get better results installing Ubuntu via crouton and running it in a chroot. 

@VileReynard wrote:

Just run a proper Linux distro.

As for replacing (or dual-booting with) ChromeOS, I'd suggest paying a visit to  Mr. Chromebox first.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I find this a rather bizarre situation myself. MS wanted as many people round the world to use Win10 (my cousin reckons it was so that they gained customers citing their fiscal report / planning) yet it happened at the same time that the security services were publicly drooling over all of us. Now Win11 is out and they want to use hardware features that the majority of the world doesn't have? Honestly, what is the logic?

I'm sticking with 7. It does everything i need, it's stable and it's one of the few MS systems that is realiable but didn't give the services "authorised" access. Sure, they can still get in and i've nothing to hide but at least they'll be doing it without consent (not that it makes much odds, not like i can sue them or obtain proof lol).

As for linux, yes i see that growing, not as fast as android but it will. The problem is though, to keep up with windows and it's so called "new features" linux will start to go the same way hardware wise. In the past i've also found linux software offerings a bit limiting or overly complex to get setup. That or the clever people behind can't tell the difference with peoples requirements. Just look at using a RPi as a wifi to ethernet bridge, you'll be instructed by everyone to install a dhcp and dns server on the rpi so that it can forward requests - but apparently it's not actually capable of acting as a bridge - yet on windows this is considered a basic ability.

I've got two machines and both are old. One is a single core with 4GB ram. It's the machine i use daily. Yes it's a bit slow but it's super quiet and very reliable. The other is dual quad core with 16GB. It sounds like concorde but is immensely powerful. It's rarely used though - and i do mean rarely but even with all that power it won't run the latest versions - not tried 8 but i suspect it's going to keep Win7 for the rest of my ownership of it. What i can do on it though is run multiple VMs at the same time - if that means running linux at some point when win7 is beyond use, then so be it but MS will not be forcing me to shell out on new hardware that i don't need and runs other systems well. I hope 11 flops.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro

Well seeing as I pretty much gave up on PC gaming nigh on 20 years ago when the original Xbox first launched, I don't need a souped up "Ninja" PC, however I do ideally want one that can run Photoshop, and a few video editing apps such as Premier, and also a good stable version of Unity.

Do you see? Cheesy
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

@7up Do you really mean

Just look at using a RPi as a wifi to ethernet bridge, you'll be instructed by everyone to install a dhcp and dns server on the rpi so that it can forward requests - but apparently it's not actually capable of acting as a bridge - yet on windows this is considered a basic ability.

Don't you mean "using a RPi as an ethernet to wifi bridge"? Most people would call such a thing an Access point.

Some very full instructions can be found at https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/wireless/access-point-routed.md Since the access point needs basic routing capabilities its reasonably lengthy.

BTW Just got myself a 32GB 8-Core AMD Ryzen 7 5800X - but since each core supports 2 threads, Linux mostly sees this as a 16 core machine. 😂

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

@7up 

Hi

Could you give the details about this:

"it's stable and it's one of the few MS systems that is realiable but didn't give the services "authorised" access.

Thanks

Dave

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Make sure you're wearing your tin foil hat first..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

@7up wrote:

I find this a rather bizarre situation myself. MS wanted as many people round the world to use Win10 (my cousin reckons it was so that they gained customers citing their fiscal report / planning) yet it happened at the same time that the security services were publicly drooling over all of us. Now Win11 is out and they want to use hardware features that the majority of the world doesn't have? Honestly, what is the logic?

It's the biggest strength and weakness of windows - they very rarely raised minimum requirements and users have got used to windows working on pretty much all machines. (incl 32 bit)

Now they're throwing down some solid requirements (which may well be removed anyway) with TPM2 people lose their minds. But mostly likely everything sold within the last 3 years will run Win 11 and as Win 10 support expires in 2025 then you'd have though most people would have replaced kit by then.

This enables them to ditch a whole load of old crud and start moving forward.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
VileReynard
Hero

If you go back in time a little bit, Windows 3.1 could be trusted to a greater extent since it couldn't phone home unless you switched the modem on first.

Instead of enterprises using Windows 11 with its huge support costs, it makes much more sense to use a server plus a bunch of thin clients.

So its not really that much different to a mainframe plus loads of dumb screens.

Of course Linux makes a much better case than Windows ?/3.1/95/98/2000/8/10/11 and still failing.

TheRoadCrew
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

@VileReynard wrote:

Instead of enterprises using Windows 11 with its huge support costs, it makes much more sense to use a server plus a bunch of thin clients.

Microsoft will tell enterprises it makes sense to run their servers on Microsoft's Azure cloud. Along with Windows365 

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Well now I just use my Mac Mini and it does what I want now.

So much faster than my old PC (it wasn't rubbish it just went wrong).

Got used to my Mac and how it is based on Unix and how much faster it is. Redmins me of Uni .. yes I enabled the admin 'su' account and gotten used to it:

su
(my password)

ls-al | more

VileReynard
Hero

I wouldn't use anything that is contaminated by the touch of the Apple "ecosystem".

MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro

If I had the funds I'd buy a decent Mac, and download 30 day trials of stuff like IMovie, and most of the Adobe productivity apps such as Photoshop and Premier for photo and video editing.

At this point almost anything would be better than the useless pile of bobbins that is Chrome OS.

Do you see? Cheesy