cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newsgroup username and password?

john10001
Grafter

Newsgroup username and password?

I've not been on newsgroups for quite a long time but have them set up within Thunderbird.
Can anyone remind me what format the username and password should be because I can't seem to connect with my regular account details.
5 REPLIES 5
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Newsgroup username and password?

You don't need a username and password. You do need to be connected to the Plusnet network though. Looking at the IP you've posted from, I'm guessing you're not?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

avatastic
Grafter

Or you've rolled out another IP block and not updated the usenet servers ACLs.
As you usually don't.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Having a bad day avatastic? Wink
We haven't introduced any new IP ranges. The most recent is the 146.199.0.0/16 subnet and that has now been added to the Giganews ACL.
As I have visibility of the IP the OP is posting from, I'm fairly sure that's what was causing the issue.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

john10001
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
You don't need a username and password. You do need to be connected to the Plusnet network though. Looking at the IP you've posted from, I'm guessing you're not?

Hi.
I always use a VPN for Encryption and Security reasons when connected to the Internet. Is this the reason why Newsgroups do not work?
Thunderbird always asks me for a username and password with a pop up box but you are saying that one is not needed so I am wondering why this box appears? Due to the VPN? If so will using my plusnet username and password should allow me to access News even if I am still using VPN and coming from an outside IP address?
If not then there is no secure way of receiving news on plusnet so I will have to look at other news services?
Please advise and clarify.
John
avatastic
Grafter

If you're using a VPN then yes, your IP address will not be recognised as one which is authorised to access PN's news server, and I don't believe they allow authenticated access for accessing it from outside their network.
You could define a manual route for the Plusnet news server so it didn't use the VPN, but how to do that is left as an exercise for the reader.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)