Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News: Man held over wireless broadband "theft"

s_d_c
Dabbler

News: Man held over wireless broadband "theft"

News item on Yahoo last night:
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20070822/tuk-uk-britain-wireless-fa6b408_2.html
This again highlights the importance of making sure your network connection is secure - both physically and whilst using the internet. It's interesting to see that some people don't realise that this is theft - "it's only an internet connection"!! How many of us don't have a secure wireless network, and have seen our usage increase unexpectedly?
There is a great help guide on the portal, which can be found here:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/wireless_broadband/wireless_security.shtml
HTH
Shaun
26 REPLIES 26
s_d_c
Dabbler

Re: News: Man held over wireless broadband "theft"

chino
Grafter

Yes this is not the first time this has happened..
It will get more and more common in the future..
So let's learn a lession and log into your router every now and then and check the MAC addresses !
LiamM
Grafter

Fortunately, router manufacturers are starting to ship routers secured by default.  Previously this was absolutely not the case, and the average punter wouldn't even know their wireless network was not secure.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I remember reading a similar story a while back, while this, like the other one is blatant .. I wonder if such a case would stand up otherwise.
I think the other one was someone in a car with their windows shielded, so hard to argue you weren't intending to use someone elses service I guess. Though why people would bother to go to such lengths for a broadband connection is beyond me .. but then again I don't understand some people Cheesy
Given that depending where you are, there are paid-for and free Wifi access points, and that PCs will scan and connect to whatever they can, it would be difficult to proove that someone had intentionally stolen bandwidth from a private network or merely used something intended for public use which was free, or so they thought.
Regardless of that, it still makes sense to ensure enycrption is enabled.
chino
Grafter

Quote from: LiamM
Fortunately, router manufacturers are starting to ship routers secured by default.  Previously this was absolutely not the case, and the average punter wouldn't even know their wireless network was not secure.

Yes it's sadly true that most people don't know about any form of security!
I have just done an update on my old access point (DWL-2100AP) which i bought in 2003 or 2004 and by default it is open so i had to change that.
The problem is that as no matter what level of security you have there is always a way around it! - We just have to try and protect yourselves as best as we can.
Stonedancer
Dabbler

I spend a lot of time in the camper van over night waiting for a morning surf. I love the fact that I can pull up and log onto an open wireless to check email and the swell forecasts for the next day on my laptop.  The problem is somepeople take the mick and download movies etc off other peoples connections. 
In a perfect world all routers would ship with an extra wireless layer.  If all routers set 10% of avaliable bandwidth on an open unsecured access point the almost the whole country could have access to email and web wherever they were without affecting the owners of the broadband.  I would open mine up if I could find a router that could do that (that wasn't an expensive corporate class).
FREE THE INTERNET!! Power to the people etc. etc.... Wink
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Well you have systems like www.fon.com, which allow you to publically share your Wi-fi connection with others - in return for being able to use others. I think you can set bandwith limits.
Problem is that it goes against the T&C's of many ISPs (intentionally sharing broadband with others not in that property I guess), and I still wouldn't like my IP associated with some of the stuff that people can retreived off the internet (and I don't just mean copyrighted material).
chino
Grafter

Fon has been found to be very popular though until WIMAX comes out or WIFI is alot stranger it will never work....
gm4jjj
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

I see that Fon is now being pushed by BT.  Will PlusNet follow I wonder?
chillypenguin
Grafter

I spotted that on a BT Beta Forum.
Further details.
http://blog.fon.com/en/archive/general/btfon041007.html
Chilly
[link added]
sgbirch
Dabbler

Quote from: gm4jjj
I see that Fon is now being pushed by BT.  Will PlusNet follow I wonder?

I certainly hope PlusNet introduces fon quickly or they are going to lose a ton of customers.  This is what plus needs:
http://btfon.com
BT has been very smart and introduced a "must have" killer feature.  Why would you not want this?  For no additional cost other then a slight bandwidth donation BT customers will be able to use hundreds of thousands of WiFi hot spots across the world.
I have been with PlusNet for many years and am a very happy customer but I really must have better connectivity when on the road and as far as I can see fon provides just that..
Could somebody at Plus let me know ... what are your plans, are you talking to fon about a similar arrangement? If not, do your terms and conditions permit me to connect a fon router?
I *must* have this feature.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Why MUST PlusNet have this feature. The collaboration with BT could bring lots of extra Foneros, but you can sign up at http://www.fon.com/en/ without being part of BT.
Chilly
sgbirch
Dabbler

Quote from: chillypenguin
Why MUST PlusNet have this feature. The collaboration with BT could bring lots of extra Foneros, but you can sign up at http://www.fon.com/en/ without being part of BT.
Chilly

No ... *I* must have this feature.  Do the PlusNet terms and conditions permit me to share my bandwidth?
If not, I cant just sign up with fon without switching to BT.

sgbirch
Dabbler

Quote from: chino
Fon has been found to be very popular though until WIMAX comes out or WIFI is alot stranger it will never work....

I think the fact the BT is promoting it guarantees that fon will work.
Interesting times indeed.  Maybe the UK will finally have working access points that don't require the user to be royally ripped off.