cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie to Ubuntu

julesandsand
Grafter

Newbie to Ubuntu

I was having a problem with my laptop and didn't know whether it was hardware or software related. I downloaded and installed Ubuntu to see if the problem was replicated with a different OS (it wasn't). I've used nothing but the various versions on Windows for the last 20 odd years (and DOS before that!). Ubuntu is quite different and I might persist with it apart from the fact I can't install my printer.
It's a Canon Pixma MP640, is there an EASY way of installing it?
What do you thing are the benefits of Linux - other than being free of course?
11 REPLIES 11
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Newbie to Ubuntu

How is it connected? USB should be detected when you switch them on.
Goto Menu/Admin/Printers and see if it is in there, if not try an Add Printer and follow the menus.
julesandsand
Grafter

Should have said, it's connected to the router therefore a network printer, I've assigned it a static IP address.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Also see http://www.zedonet.com/en_p_turboprint_driver.phtml?printer=Canon_PIXMA_MP640
which will allow you to use a range of printers, including yours (printer only - cost 30 Euros)  Smiley
I believe you can get a free download which will work (but print a watermark).
Alternatively, you actually have a PDF printer installed - just choose print to file, (pdf button, not ps).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star

OK for network printer, same routine but choose network printer, enter the ip address and it should find it.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

What do you thing are the benefits of Linux - other than being free of course?

There are many but you seemed to have covered it all in your original post  Grin Everything seems to work give or take from install, it's faster and more secure and like you mentioned free. The OS also pretty much looks after itself regarding fragmentation and getting rid of stuff left over from installs you no longer have. Windows IME starts of really well on fresh install and generally just gets slower and more cranky as you go without doing a fair bit of spring cleaning generally with a 3rd party application.
The downside is compatibility although it has to be said it's very rare that there isn't an alternative to whichever m$ compatible program you did use with the exception of games. AFAIK no game developers make a Linux version of their titles which is a shame as it would probably run a bit smoother on a Linux based system.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: AverageWhiteBloke
AFAIK no game developers make a Linux version of their titles which is a shame as it would probably run a bit smoother on a Linux based system.
Steam Is coming to linux.http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9362881
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: Steve
Steam Is coming to linux.http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9362881

Is it?
These rumours have been doing the rounds for a couple of years now; don't suppose any denials will stop them...  Roll_eyes
BrianE
Grafter

Go to System -> Administration and select 'Printing'.
Click 'Add' in the box that appears, and you'll get to this:

From there, it should be pretty straightforward Wink
julesandsand
Grafter

@BrianE - I'm not seeing anything there!
HairyMcbiker
All Star

You need to have the ip address of the printer, either from it via a control panel/printout or from your router.
In the Add printer click on Network printer and put in the ip address in the "server" box, it should then find it and ask for a make etc.
bodOrange
Dabbler

Canon are amongst the worst when it comes to Linux drivers.  They won't provide details to third party driver developers either.  Unless the device supports a standard protocol or someone has taken the time to reverse engineer a windows/Mac driver you're stuffed.