Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New wirless router Advise

jono
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

New wirless router Advise

I think I posted this in the wrong forum under Hardware so I've posted here instead. By the looks of it the julesandsand topic is what I'm afraid of, someone using my bandwidth.I've found since posting a section on password changing but I'm unsure which password I'm supposed to change so I've left alone for now.
Hi, I have just received the Thompson Wireless router model TG 585V7 and because its the first Wireless Router I've had I read the Wireless security guide online at Plusnet Help site, it mentions switching off the SSID broadcast for extra security, the trouble is I cannot find it, could anyone advise please, I have set the Router up as per instructions that have come with the router and i am using the WPA number.
Also With my old BT voyager 210 I could check the line stats but I cant see those on this one, I check them every so often just to make sure they are OK.
regards
jono
8 REPLIES 8
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: New wirless router Advise

If you read more recent stuff, especially related to Vista, you won't bother hiding the SSID.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

jim:post I have deleted the other thread mod:end
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Hiding the SSID doesn't help security.
Make sure you have WPA encrytion (not WEP).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jono
Aspiring Pro

Hi, I'm running Vista SP1 with intrusion detection enabled and Remote Asistance disabled, User Management is Administrator, that's the part I'm confused about, I did not put any info in for administrator, all i filled in was my log on info for plus net and the WPA number, I'm running Norton Internet Security 2009 as well and it says I'm protected. Do I need to set any other settings up at all or am i set up by default, I noticed in the post I mentioned above that his security was not sufficient.
regards
jono
jono
Aspiring Pro

Hi me again, Thanks for deleting the other post by the way Jim
samuria
Grafter

If you think someone is stealing your bandwidth it is nothing to do with your pc it will be your router. If the router is open or poorly protected then anyone can connect to it and download using your account.
There should be somewhere on the router that show whos connected and you should check this regular if you suspect problems.
You can set your router to only let people with a certain MAC address in and you assign your MAC address so know one else can get in. This can be spoofed but it can be harder to do
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Although all of the security methods can be broken it's like burglars wandering down the street - it will be the ones with the open windows they break in to, not the ones which are all shut tight with security locks.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
julesandsand
Grafter

I think that if you use WPA2 with an unguessable password you should be OK. I changed my Belkin router because the DHCP client list displayed nothing, I don't know if the bandwith thief had done this or it was a Belkin software fault, I suspect  the latter.