cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New wireless 'N' coverage

iendicott

New wireless 'N' coverage

All,
I am about to upgrade my 6 year old wireless Netgear 802.11b wireless modem.
I currently have 1 solid wall between the wireless router and my media centre both running at 11mbps and the signal strenght is Very Low to Low.
My question is if I upgrade to a rangemax 108mbps netgear (DG834PN) router will the coverage be alot better ?
I am hoping to stream TV to my xbox plugged into the wireless router hub from the media centre with a range max card \ usb stick but to do this I ideally need 54mpbs or above.
Also I am purchasing a new laptop with various wireless options, if I went for a wireless N card would it talk to the rangemax router at 108mbps or am I best going for a 802.11g standard card in it ? The laptop will be just for surfing only.
Thanks in advanced
5 REPLIES 5
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: New wireless 'N' coverage

Hmmm, based on my experience you are likely to get a better signal (and performance) with 802.11g, but I would try it first if possible - borrow some equipment?
As for the DG834PN I have to say that it's reputation is not as good as the other 834 models.
Personally I currently have an 834GT and one of my PC's connect to it quite well through 2 (admittedly breeze block) walls at 100Mb with a Netgear WG111T wireless adapter. Another PC manages (just) through the same 2 walls with an 802.11b adapter and usually gets 11Mb.
iendicott

So a DG834GT would suffice by the sound of it !
We are in a new house but the wall it has to go thorugh is any external one so brick and breeze block.
Many thanks.
samuria
Grafter

Why mess about guessing if it will or will not work at that range get a home plug plug it into your mains plug the router into it and plug the other at any location and plug in the cable and you are working. It beats the hit a miss wireless

http://www.maplin.co.uk/searchtemplate.asp?criteria=HOME%20NETWORK%20PLUG
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I use a Netgear WG834GT 802.11g.
Because the signal has to go through a solid brick wall and then bury its way through to the back of a mass of metal that I call a computer, the signal strength is weak.
I bought a little aerial on a stand with a couple of metres of coax which replaces the the little stick aerials that Netgear supply.
It sits on top of my monitor and I get really excellent performance.
Got the extension aerial as a new item on ebay - I think it was about £8 - £10.
Worth every penny!
I used to get 60KByte speeds - I often get in excess of 400KBytes.
If you are bothered about ping times, you will need a good connection (no retransmissions).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

iendicott

Well bought a laptop with a wireless N card in last night so going to splah out on the DG834N router...