Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New windows 10 update ARGGGG

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: New windows 10 update ARGGGG

The anniversary edition is an update released 1 year after the initial release, version 1607. It's currently at build 14393.51 (you can check yours by running the command 'winver')

14393.51.PNG

artmo
Aspiring Champion

@Browni thanks for your reply. It looks like I have been overtaken by events. Both my laptop and desktop upgraded last night as I went to switch them off.

As a matter of interest how do I find 'command'?

Browni
Aspiring Hero

@artmo right click the Windows button and you'll see it pop up.

artmo
Aspiring Champion

@Browni thanks for that. Sorted.

wildthing666
Grafter

My brother bought his laptop down yesterday windows edge wouldn't work so I ran a virus check it found one virus and updated, the one thing I hate about windows 10 is that it just tells you it's updating without any percentage so the user can see how far along the update is. After removing the virus and updating and restarting the laptop it was back to normal.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Why not install a second browser so you are slightly less reliant on M$'s [-Censored-]-ups.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Search and ye shall find.  Windows 10 still includes Internet Explorer if you are having problems with Edge.  Okay, that's another Microsoft browser, but it's already there.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I suspect the people with less tech ability will just think it's completely wrecked 

But if you use Disk Manager, as I suggested, you will see that it isn't.  There's quite a good article here on what to do if a partition 'vanishes': http://html5.litten.com/updated-how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/

Does nobody remember Service Pack 2 for Windows XP?  That really did cause a large number of problems, some of which I had to fix as that's my job.  A year ago I had some calls from people having problems after upgrading to Windows 10 shortly after it had been released.  But nobody called me about problems after applying the 1511 update and nobody yet has called me about a problem resulting from the 1607 update.

One Windows 10 problem I have seen several times is that the Start button and most or all of the new apps stop working whilst the conventional programs and the rest of Windows carry on as normal.  this seems to happen at random, although there must be some chain of events that is the underlying cause.  

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I'm a bit mystified by this. So far I've had 2 systems (my main desktop and a laptop) update and it went quickly and smoothly and everything works as before. Thumbs_Up

One more regularly-used system to go, mainly used by SWMBO.....

VileReynard
Hero

@ReedRichards wrote:

I suspect the people with less tech ability will just think it's completely wrecked 

But if you use Disk Manager, as I suggested, you will see that it isn't.  There's quite a good article here on what to do if a partition 'vanishes': http://html5.litten.com/updated-how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/

Always take a disk image copy of a disk before manipulating partition sectors etc, that way you won't lose your data.

I have to say, though, that I've never had a disk corrupt itself and banish bits of itself. The only time boot sectors and partitions etc get written to is when you do things like resize a partition.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

@VileReynard wrote:

I have to say, though, that I've never had a disk corrupt itself and banish bits of itself. 

I'm pleased to hear that but it certainly does happen and it happens in the absence of any attempt to mess with the partition structure.  As you pointed-out earlier, lose the wrong single byte and you've lost the Partition Type information.  

artmo
Aspiring Champion

@HPsauce wrote:

I'm a bit mystified by this. So far I've had 2 systems (my main desktop and a laptop) update and it went quickly and smoothly and everything works as before. Thumbs_Up

One more regularly-used system to go, mainly used by SWMBO.....

As previously mentioned, after getting a reply from @Browni , I found both my machines updated automatically.  So far I I haven't noticed any problems.

VileReynard
Hero

Then its time to delve into the fantastical world of GPT disks. Amongst other things these include CRC checks and backup copies of partition information.

Since my PC has an EFI BIOS, when it came I converted the disks to GPT format. But I found the conversion from MBR to GPT very confusing. Obviously, it's a do once and forget operation.

http://www.easeus.com/resource/drive/gpt-disk.htm gives an abbreviated explanation.

Browni
Aspiring Hero

I'm already in the world of secure boot/uefi & gpt!

That's where I found that disk management only sees 6 out of 7 partitions on my main disk.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@ReedRichards wrote:

But if you use Disk Manager, as I suggested, you will see that it isn't.

I don't need to use Disk Manager as I'm not having a problem, and to be clear yet again I've had no problem with any of the updates, nor have I had a problem with the Start menu (to date), although interestingly the Start menu on one machine doesn't show the recently installed Apps at the top of the list and I haven't yet discovered why (I don't especially want it anyway).

The only "issue" I've recently noticed is that on Pro, a normal user no longer has control over when updates are downloaded (although there still is control over the restart). IIRC there's a registry hack to resolve that.

If you wish to post suggestions for anyone that is having problems, please do so that is great, but please don't post in style that implies I'm the one with the problem.

And yes I remember issues with XP, to which those with less tech ability will mean nothing, nor will they probably know anything about Disk Manager (which some find unreliable) or where to start.

There's quite a good article here on what to do if a partition 'vanishes': http://html5.litten.com/updated-how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/

I'm sure a number of people will find that very helpful, thanks. It certainly contains some information I didn't know.

Beginners may care to read this How to Geek article which also has a number of links to other more in depth articles.