Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New windows 10 update ARGGGG

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: New windows 10 update ARGGGG

@Browni wrote:

@NorthPole that link doesn't even mention the problems people are having with the latest update. Perfect example here

Browni, that wasn't why I quoted it - but it does help to explain an issue mentioned in some earlier posts (e.g. #96), that Windows 10 users were being offered different updates.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

So Microsoft are in the [-Censored-].

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@NorthPole wrote:

Browni, that wasn't why I quoted it - but it does help to explain an issue mentioned in some earlier posts (e.g. #96), that Windows 10 users were being offered different updates.

The headline in the article you linked to was "Cumulative update KB3189866 rolls out for Windows 10 version 1607"

KB3189866 was the one causing problems and there was no mention whatsoever of the problems caused.

Here's another link just in case you are missing the message.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This may have been mentioned before is this thread so apologies in advance if it has, but if you want to disable Automatic Updates add the following Registry setting:

Navigate to :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]

Then add a Key called AU

And to that key add an new 32Bit DWORD:

"NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000001

Or save the following as a .reg file then double click on it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
"NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000001

This will create it for you, a restart is needed for this to take effect.

kdiment
Rising Star

A couple of further points that might help others suffering from this monster update / new installation ...

I was aware of the usual warnings of "This may take a while", "Do not turn off your computer" and "Your computer  will restart several  times" but after perhaps 40 minutes all I had was a black screen. I waited for a long time in case this was a restart but after a couple of hours decided enough was enough and used the familiar routine of switching it off and  on again. That brought it back to life with no apparent ill effects and it resumed at "31% complete" or thereabouts, and eventually completed satisfactorily.

I am gradually finding settings that I had made and forgotten, which need to be made again, which is a real nuisance.

Among them, the need to edit the configuration file in the TG582n router to again disable WANDownSpoofing which had become enabled for some reason. Can this really be part of a Windows installation, or is there some other explanation for its having been reset?

Keith