Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New windows 10 update ARGGGG

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: New windows 10 update ARGGGG

@materialman wrote:

.How can I prevent an automatic update if that is likely to happen now?

Microsoft have a 'troubleshooter' tool to hide updates which you can download here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3073930#bookmark-1607  .  Although this page refers specifically to driver updates, I think the tool can be used to hide any update (I have never used it myself).  But Microsoft say it's only a temporary fix.  

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

I've got a cheap chinese-made keyboard-PC that came pre-installed with 10 (and seemingly no easy option to upgrade it to 7 or Linux), and a few nights ago I fired it up and it wanted to do updates whether I liked it or not, so I left it to do that for several hours, eventually, it rebooted, then sat there, black screen, the loading balls just spinning about, over and over again, not doing anything, so, it basically got bricked, but turning it off and on again twice seemed to activate a self-restore thing that made 10 undo that update, so it restored it to working order...

So, tried manually installing the anniversary update downloaded from M$ directly, took a few hours again, rebooted, black screen of balls...........

Do they actually bother to hire anyone who knows how to code an OS at microsoft?? When a major, supposedly improvement-laced, update is released, you'd think that they'd actually test it first on a selection of varied computers... Roll_eyes

I'm so glad that keyboard PC is the only win10 virus infected computer I have...

PeeGee
Pro

@materialman wrote:

.How can I prevent an automatic update if that is likely to happen now?

If you connect by wifi, you can set a 'flag' in the wifi settings to hold back updates until convenient (set the link as a metered connection, though it does not seem to switch after the AU), but this is not easily done with a wired ethernet connection. The fix for the latter requires a registry edit to change the "ethernet" value in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\DefaultMediaCost" from 1 to 2. A tutorial on how to do this, for those interested, is at http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/35656-ethernet-connection-set-metered-unmetered-windows-10-a.html. There are also two downloadable "scripts" to switch between metered and un-metered for use after the permissions have been changed.

If you make the change, you have to turn metering off to do a manual update as, otherwise, it initiates a download and does nothing!

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I've a strong suspicion that if you say that you have a metered connection (but don't) then Windows 10 won't do at least some of the "updates". You could load an entire Linux distro for less than one of those major updates.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I've seen several Windows 10 computers over the last week running the 1511 version of Windows 10.  None of them have 'found' the Anniversary Update (1607) when asked to check for updates.  Either Microsoft is rationing it out slowly or they are sitting on it.

materialman
Rising Star

I decided not to mess with the registry and run the rolled back 1511 version, which like you say, since I rolled back last week has showed no sign of finding the anniversary update. I did go and find Office 2013 updated though which used to be a lot easier to do in Win 7.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

shermans
Pro

Following my request for help after the Anniversary update automatically installed and screwed up my system three weeks ago, and I rolled back to 1511, Windows has not attempted to update again since, which I find very interesting.  It supports the suggestion that Microsoft have realised that there were serious issues and have withdrawn the Anniversary issue before there was uproar.  My system has continued to function o.k. since the rollback.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Remember today is patch Tuesday!

Who knows what surprises Windows Update may bring tonight!

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Is this a regular monthly thing?

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Microsoft are busy trying to pass the blame onto some poor mug.

Unfortunately, they have lots of experience in issuing patches in a desperate attempt to fix constant bugs. However, they have virtually no experience in issuing software updates.

They can't even update a program whilst someone is using the un-updated version of a program.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

materialman
Rising Star

@Browni wrote:

Remember today is patch Tuesday!

Who knows what surprises Windows Update may bring tonight!

As I post this Windows is trying and failing (so far) to successfully install a raft of updates for build 1511. It got to 28% earlier then it said it failed. Looks like just a Silverlight update was successful. Having another go but might have to give up and go to bed.

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I have just had the Anniversary Updates installed. It took a long while but I have suffered (as far as I am aware so far)  any ill effects.

One of the changes was supposed to be a new limited mode of running Windows 10 anti-virus software which does not clash with other anti-virus software as was previously the case. I followed the instructions to enable this additional security feature and was informed that it clashed with Norton Security and to turn the new feature off!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Updating an program while it is being used isn’t as easy as it sounds. In most cases when an application runs the OS locks the file preventing any writes to it, so in order to apply an update this lock must be released and the easiest way to do that is to have the user quit the program.

The updater program can’t release the lock on the running copy of the program and replace it because if it did and the user tries to execute a function in the running version the code for that function may not be in memory so would have to go to the disk to get it. But as the program has been replaced 'behind its back' so to speak the code needed to execute the function may not even be at the location the old version of the program expects so it to be so crashes as a result.

As inconvenient as it is the easiest and safest way is to have the user terminate the running program thus avoiding this type of issue.

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Today's update started on my PC at 7am this morning. I have just got back home and it was still going. Completed around 10.15am. Seems a long time?Huh

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I'm seeing reports that the latest cumulative update for Windows 10 (KB3189866) takes a long time to download & install.

It installed quite happily for me though.