Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New windows 10 update ARGGGG

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: New windows 10 update ARGGGG

@Anotherone wrote:

...please don't post in style that implies I'm the one with the problem....

I hadn't for even one second intended to do that and had not realised that I had.  However I do feel that reports of other people's problems should be taken with a pinch of salt.  

If there are 350 million Windows 10 users and a major update comes along then a minority of the users will have problems with the update and another minority will have problems that arise around the time of the update although those problems are unconnected.  Even a small minority of 350 million is a significant number and they will make an impact when they post their woes online.  But this is only newsworthy if the numbers in the first minority are larger than normal.  This has certainly happened in the past (as with the XP SP2 update I mentioned) and the problems with Avast security software will have swelled the numbers this time around (Windows 10 1607).  But if you discount the Avast users it's very hard to tell if there are more problems than usual.    

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Paul Thurrott mentions a freeze issue that has arisen since the Windows 10 1607 ("Anniversary") update here: https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/76158/microsoft-offers-workarounds-windows-10-freeze-iss... but writes that this update "hasn’t triggered any widespread reliability issues".  My computer has a similar configuration to the one that is indicated as liable to problems but I have Windows and apps on an SSD and just data on another drive.  No problems for me so far.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Surely, sending an update (which cannot be refused) to someone which makes their computer completely unusable might be considered to be a very severe "reliability issue". It's a pretty poor update system that allows this kind of thing.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

artmo
Aspiring Champion

I don't know if this is a W10 problem or not, maybe a mod will move it if not.

Since installing W10 on my desktop I have had about 3 occasions when the screen has locked and I have got the message Drive_Power_State_Failure.  The screen tells me info is being gathered to correct the problem but nothing happens. I then have to force shutdown and when switched back on again no problems. As I say, only about once a month or less has this happened.

Do I need to worry about this?

VileReynard
Hero

Does it read Drive_Power_State_Failure or Driver_Power_State_Failure?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Driver_Power_State_Failure

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@artmo if it's occurring that infrequently I wouldn't get too excited about it, but what I would do is make a note of when it was happening (date/time) what you were doing at the time - what programs you had open or were running or shutting etc. Were there any updates occurring at the time? etc etc. See if any pattern shows up. Try googling any specific error message as suggested by Foxy to see if that throws up any clues.

Edit: additional thought - take a screengrab of it as well Wink

artmo
Aspiring Champion

@VileReynard and @Anotherone thank you both for your input. Appreciated.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

@VileReynard wrote:

Does it read Drive_Power_State_Failure or Driver_Power_State_Failure?

That's a very good question and it's a pity @artmo did not reply explicitly.  You can find plenty of references to both messages if you do google them but if you search for Drive_Power_State_Failure Google gives you results for Driver_Power_State_Failure with the option to search instead for Drive_Power_State_Failure.  So the Driver.. version of the message must be much more frequently reported than the Drive... variant .  Could Drive... always be a misprint or is it just seen much less frequently? 

Anotherone
Champion

Prompted by Reed's post I've edited my message 51 to add -
Edit: additional thought - take a screengrab of it as well Wink

I've not done that because of any doubt about what artmo may have seen, but simply because with so many things it's easier with a screen shot/grab to show what you've experienced. It's something I've not done enough of in the past (IMHO) and try to do more frequently theses days Smiley

artmo
Aspiring Champion

@VileReynard The message read: Driver_Power_State_Failure as far as I can remember. I still had the message on the screen as I copied it.

VileReynard
Hero

You would think M$ would have fixed these kind of bugs a very.... long.... time ago. It's obviously(?) a video driver error. Any other kind of driver problem shouldn't cause a total crash. BSOD anybody?

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Off topic but does anybody else find @VileReynard 's giant spider a bit annoying?  As humans we are programmed to pay attention to moving objects and I find it hard to attend to content when there is a large moving object in my field of view.  The continuous motion isn't so bad but the jump back from right to left as the animation restarts I find particularly distracting.  

VileReynard
Hero

OK, I'll investigate and see if I can find a better or different animation.

Anotherone
Champion

Perhaps make it crawl back rather than jump back Tongue Funny  sorry I'm being mischievous Wink 

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

@ReedRichards wrote:

Off topic but does anybody else find @VileReynard 's giant spider a bit annoying? 

For me, it's no longer a problem - I suppress all avatars (though I usually block animated GIFs anyway). Most forums have a setting to turn of the display of avatars, but this sub-standard system has limited user experience controls.

Edit: ISTR it's in the sig, which I have disabled (and miss the useful bits) due to the rubbish some people put there.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.