Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New windows 10 update ARGGGG

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

New windows 10 update ARGGGG

Yes the latest new windows update changes most of your settings and apps, you will need to re-config everything Tongue pain in the backside!

109 REPLIES 109
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: New windows 10 update ARGGGG

And yet there isn't and never has been an easy way to restore Windows to default settings if you actually want to do that.  Anyway, think yourself lucky you're not on the Insider program where these version updates arrive very frequently. 

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

yes but you chose that by choice ? It can be removed right Wink 

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Yes, I opted out of the Insider program after one of the preview builds went wrong for no obvious reason.  But I got used to having to change again some of the settings I changed before.  For example, I have to turn off 'Fast start-up' because it causes problems for my dual-boot computer.  

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I am also on the insider program ,, and must admit its a pain with every update , there has been a few recently , you have to reset all settings ,, and uninstall all the MS apps you dont want everytime Crazy2

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hmm, I saw this post the other day and thought I'd pop back after checking what it had "changed".

BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE it's NOT an update in the previous sense of an update.

The "Anniversary Update" is a complete install of a rehashed/updated Windows 10 - where apparently they have junked some of the old code - fine no issue with that, BUT here comes the rub

IF you had done the (free) upgrade from Windows 7 etc and are still within the 30 day margin to go back (and wish to do so) then you will lose that if you get the Anniversary Update.
The Windows.old (your previous Win7) and other associated folders ($WINDOWS.~BT is one such) are replaced with that previous Windows 10 (product version 10.0.10586.0) when the upgrade to the Anniversary edition takes place.

There are people elsewhere who are also complaining about deleted partitions containing data, other OSes ('Nix ones) etc. I haven't read it all myself (yet) - I was skyping a friend about the Anniversary Update and he was googling!

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Not noticed much to be annoyed with TBH, although whilst registered, I'm opted out of insider updates.

Most welcome improvement for me is the ability to install WSL/Bash Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

You should not be offered the Anniversary Update until after 30 days have past since you 'upgraded' from Windows 7/8.1.  That certainly the way it worked with the previous "1511" update.  You can still manually initiate the installation of the Anniversary Update however.

Some people always complain that a big update has wrought doom upon their computer.  I'm sure that sometimes happens but I suspect in the majority of cases it is either coincidence or a misunderstanding.  

Anotherone
Champion

I got the impression that most of the complainants had received the update automatically, whereas I had requested it manually. A number of these were apparently on an Ubuntu forum and some on 'thewindowsclub' IIRC, but I've yet to go looking myself.

Whether people always complain about a "big update" or not, is irrelevant. MS should have made crystal clear to all that the "Anniversary Update" would remove any ability to go back to a previous Win7/8.1 installation - just so that it's crystal clear to you, it hasn't bother me - but I know it will bother a number of others I know who are still considering whether or not to revert to Win7.

In one example my friend quoted, the user went for the upgrade because he hoped it would resolve some driver issues he had with 1511 product version 10.0.10586.0 which it didn't, and now he can't go back to  Win7.

As for misunderstanding, I doubt there is any misunderstanding about partitions containing data and/or other OSes getting deleted, that is an appalling foul-up with the update if that's not user error - I saw nothing that suggested there would be any formatting or partition changes when I applied the update, so I'm doubting any user error there.

The purpose of my post is/was as a warning to others to take care and consider carefully whether or not they want the Anniversary upgrade - or (free) Win 10 upgrade at all, nothing to do with whether I was happy with the resultant Win10 OS - which so far I am, albeit there are a few things I'm not keen on - but then one can pick holes in a lot of OSes Huh

Statler
Hooked

@Anotherone wrote:

As for misunderstanding, I doubt there is any misunderstanding about partitions containing data and/or other OSes getting deleted, that is an appalling foul-up with the update if that's not user error - I saw nothing that suggested there would be any formatting or partition changes when I applied the update, so I'm doubting any user error there.

If the 'Anniversary Update' is actually a clean install I expect it will overwrite the MBR on BIOS-based systems which is likely the cause of problems with dual-boot *NIX systems.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

The MBR is just the minimal startup code for the actual OS loader.

Linux can happily detect and retain partitions for other OS's (including Windows).

I wonder why Windows isn't able to cope?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for the comment @Statler. I doubt my knowledge in this area is as extensive as yours, but it didn't look (or behave) like a "clean" install, it did look like an "upgrade" install in the sense that it transferred everything I already had installed on Win10 1511. The "first run" was just like the "first run" from an upgrade install of 1511 from Win7 is probably the best way to describe it (for the benefit of less tech readers).
It prompted for the various automatics settings or use Express settings on first run, and although these can be changed later, I'd still recommend people don't use the Express Settings - at least they will see what they may or may not want to allow or change later.

One of the things I had customised on 1511 was Power Settings, which I also had to redo after the "upgrade".

btw. welcome to the forum, I don't see anyone else having done that since your first post Wink

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

@Anotherone wrote:

MS should have made crystal clear to all that the "Anniversary Update" would remove any ability to go back to a previous Win7/8.1 installation

Well of course they should but they never do - but I'm sure it's there in the small print.  In fact simply running the Media Creation Tool wrecks your ability to go back to the previous Windows installation.  As does creating a new User Account.  

All these major Windows 10 updates, of which the Anniversary Update is the second, install in the manor of a full version upgrade to Windows.  If you avoid the pitfalls you can always go back to the "previous build" but if you upgrade from Windows 10 build 1511 to Windows 10 Anniversary Update then the previous build becomes Windows 10 build 1511.  It's very unlikely that the Anniversary Update uses any different drivers to the 1511 build and could ever resolve "driver issues".

If you install Windows 10 on a clean hard drive it creates a small System partition at the start of the drive.  The information stored in the partition might be changed when you install the anniversary update which might adversely affect some multi boot configurations.  For example, I dual boot between windows 7 and 10 and the boot process differs depending on which is the default.  Applying the Anniversary Update switched the default to Windows 10 and I had to change it back again.

Hard drives and partitions fail all the time.  I imagine this is more likely when a hard drive is being worked hard, as it is during a Windows upgrade.  

Anotherone
Champion

I wouldn't disagree with virtually everything you've said in your last post, except, I would say that the people complaining of disappearing partitions would not have appeared to have had hard disk failure. It's quite possible that the partitions are there somewhere and they just can't see them for the reasons you've mentioned.

Statler
Hooked

@Anotherone wrote:

it didn't look (or behave) like a "clean" install, it did look like an "upgrade" install in the sense that it transferred everything I already had installed on Win10 1511. The "first run" was just like the "first run" from an upgrade install of 1511 from Win7 is probably the best way to describe it (for the benefit of less tech readers).

Ah, OK. I interpreted your comment about it as being a complete install to include the bootloader (likely to tamper with the MBR).

I wasn't aware of the system partition mentioned by @ReedRichards; I s'pose that might explain the reports of some Linux users who chrooted into their Linux install to reinstall a Linux bootloader only to find they could then boot into Linux but not Windows 10.......