cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user connection problems

royandlou

New user connection problems

Dear All
I am the main user on my computer and have successfully, finally, got broadband working for me.
1. My partner accesses the same computer but has a limited user account and cannot access the same broadband, via the same computer, with the same passwords etc at all.
Can you help please?
I was connected to a dial up previously with Wanadoo and have had some problems losing that link! All we need is help to now get my partner on to broadband too, on the same computer! Plusnet via the phone were  very good initially, but I think this is beyond their remit now. There were some 'bits' left by wanadoo which caused problems with connecting to plusnet, which I fear may beon the user account that my partner uses. Help!
2. I have tried to create a hotmail account for him, from my log in on my computer and cannot access it now - is there a reason?
Many thanks
Lou
7 REPLIES 7
paulby
Grafter

Re: New user connection problems

Are you using a USB modem or an ethernet connection?
If you're using USB you'll need to make sure that the connection is available for "anyone who uses this computer" and not just you.
There's a tick box on one of the configuration screens (I think it may be the one where you enter your user name and password but can't remember exactly so hopefully someone can point you in the right direction).
I
royandlou

Thanks for looking at this. Paulby and Peter Stone.
I have an ASDL 210 Voyager router and an ethernet connection.
When my partner connects it comes up with a microsft works window, which you can't go anywhere with, and then very quickly goes to a split screen with 'Orange' (Successor to Wanadoo as dial up connector), on the left and on the right it says 'page cannot be displayed' syntax error.
I have checked and my home page is http://voyager.home/.
paulby - where is the configuration screen that you talked about? My broadband connection happens automatically on my half of the computer!
Many thanks
Lou
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Assuming you are using IE as a browser. From your partners login, go to Tools->InternetOptions->Connections and ensure that the 'Never dial a Connection' is checked and click OK You should be able to browse the internet now!. You may have to do a similar exercise with OE ( or whatever mail client he uses ) to configure it not to use the dial up connection.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I was playing with my dialup Freeserve connection (now Orange) - I needed to re-enable it to access the email address for a while - and then I lost all internet connectivity. The reason was that Orange uses a proxy server. It might be worth checking the settings in IE to see if using a proxy server has been enabled
paulby
Grafter

Lou,
You still haven't said if you're connecting via USB or ethernet.
If it's ethernet do as ianwarrilow suggests and set "never dial a connection".
It's generally better if you can use an ethernet connection as you don't need any additional software on your PC to run it.
The tick box I referred to is on the screen where you enter your password in Windows dial-up networking (which is what USB connections tend to use). At the foot of that screen there are two boxes after some text which says
"Save this user name and password for the following users:
Me Only
Anyone who uses this computer"
Alternatively, if you're using USB, you may have to re-install the USB connection and make sure that you allow all users of the PC to use it.

This Microsoft article may help.
It looks as though you need to log in to the admin account and make the connection global or else set it up in the user account for that user.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Yes they did...
Quote from: royandlou
I have an ASDL 210 Voyager router and an ethernet connection.
paulby
Grafter

My aplogies - missed that!
All I can think of then is that you go into the account that's not working and go to (I'm assuming it's XP - if it's Vista let me know as there's a slightly more convoluted route)
ControlPanel>Network Connections (using classic view)
In the box that comes up right click "local area connection" and make sure that it's enabled.
You could also delete any Wanadoo dial up connections (and any others that may be there that you don't need/use) while you're there - right click and then delete.
You'll still need to make sure that "Never dial a connection" is set under Internet Options as described previously.