cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Linux

morgan2476
Grafter

New to Linux

I am gradually moving over to Linux and i have just installes pclinuxos and I am very impressed with it.  However I have a few problems.
Printer is not recognised (Lexmark p915)
Will not play DVDs
And, what are the virus issues with Linux?  Could someone recommend an antivirus.
This is an excellent operating system but I would like to get these things sortet out.
8 REPLIES 8
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: New to Linux

For your printer look at the linux printer database http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi
To play DVD's you need libdecss open your package manager and search for DVD playback or libdecss
Virus issues nothing to really worry about, unless you share the files with a windows machine then it could  "store" one on the linux machine, you could install BitDefender Scanner, it isn't resident only scans when you want it to.
I have been using Linux wholly for 2 years now without a AV/spyware scanner needed.
Opps just checked your printer on the db and it says :-
Lexmark p915
Color inkjet printer, this is a Paperweight
So looks like it is a Windows ONLY printer. You could install a virtual XP and print via that, but I would recommend a better printer, a cannon/hp/epson all work well.
Denzil
Grafter

Most Linux distributions don't include the codecs required to play DVDs and other media. This is because in some countries there are questions about legality, so Linux distributions play it safe by not including them for anybody.
Like biker995 said, viruses are not an issue in Linux. There are no known Linux viruses in the wild. As long as you normally log in as a 'normal' user, then as the user only has write access to the files in the /home folder (equivalent to My Documents on Windows). All the system files in other folders are protected by the need to supply a 'root' or administrator password. If somebody did write a Linux virus it would only be able to damage your documents, and you keep those backed up, right? If you share any Windows files or forward emails from windows users you might consider an AV just to protect them. ClamAV is probably the most commonly used in Linux.
Heloman
Grafter

Welcome to PCLinuxOS!  I've totally converted to Linux (no Windows at all).
I regularly try out all the different distros and find that PCLOS suits me best.
(With MEPIS a close runner-up). I'm a very grey-haired amateur.
Never used Lexmark, but it works fine with my Epson and HP printers.
I've never found the need  for A/V with Linux, although I was a privacy/security fanatic with Windows.
I play my DVDs on my TV  Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I am Mainly Win Laptops, but have an Asos EeePC running Linux,  with no mucking around from me it runs a DVD read write via USB and prints to a Lexmark Multi.  So it can be done,  Also the WiFi works, when I first got it it wouldnt run WPA security, but an automatic update to the operating system and bios cured that
artificer
Grafter

linux and lexmark have always been problematic.  there may be a solution, so have a wander over to pclinuxos.com/forum and sign yourself up.  i know some people have managed to get some models to co-operate.  we quickly learn to buy linux-friendly kit to avoid these hassles.
antivirus is only necessary if you are exchanging files with windows.  viruses cannot propogate in linux.
about the only danger to linux, thus far, is rootkits and these can be avoided by only ever going online as a user and never as root.  if you need root privileges for any procedure, you can call it up from your user.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you have a printer which is not recognised, it is worth looking at http://www.turboprint.info/ - but not for Lexmark!
You can trial it for free - but you have to pay if you want to buy it (I did).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

morgan2476
Grafter

Thanks fo all who have replied.  Epson printer works fine, i think the dvd issue can wait until later.
Thanks
hootiegibbon
Grafter

Quote from: artificer
linux and lexmark have always been problematic.  there may be a solution, so have a wander over to pclinuxos.com/forum and sign yourself up.  i know some people have managed to get some models to co-operate.  we quickly learn to buy linux-friendly kit to avoid these hassles.
antivirus is only necessary if you are exchanging files with windows.  viruses cannot propogate in linux.
about the only danger to linux, thus far, is rootkits and these can be avoided by only ever going online as a user and never as root.  if you need root privileges for any procedure, you can call it up from your user.

And what do you call a virus that can not self-propogate.... ?
The only other potential danger to warn about is what are becoming known as 'cross platform viruses' which not surprisingly are not either cross platform or actually viruses. but malware that effects the likes of mono/.frame network for example 'Yakizake'
which in windows with thunderbird installed will mail a message to all people in the address book automatically, in a non windoes situation with mono and thunderbird installed it will ask nicely if it can send a message to everyone in the address book - a bit of a non threat really.
Jase