cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New spam

seanbranagh
Grafter

New spam

I have suddenly started getting spam to my Plus Net email address. I barely even use the address and have never had a problem with spam because I am careful with my addreses.
Anyone else having a problem? Has there been another leak of Plus Net email addresses?
9 REPLIES 9
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: New spam

Don`t spread my email addy about much.... but can`t remember the last "spam" message I had,..... seems like it must be at least 2 years ago !.... Smiley
(my missus gets loads, cos she signs up to all these survey and holiday places ! ! !).... Cheesy
takes me ages to dump them once a month....no telling her why or how to stop them, I think she revels in the number of messages she gets ! ! ! . Roll_eyes
mentalist3d
Grafter

My PlusNet email is about 2 weeks old so no spam as yet, however I use my domain name for my e-mail with a catch all setting so I get a load of automated spam that is getting sent out through a load of random usernames (for example: 12345@yoursite.co.uk, anynamehere@yoursite.co.uk) which all arrives at my e-mail address but my e-mail provider has a good spam filter so it doesn't bother me much.
@shutter: my wife is the same, it doesn't seem to matter that half the messages are from African Royalty  Grin
seanbranagh
Grafter

I don't like spam filters as I have found that they randomly block important email. If I need to enter an email address in a site I am not sure about I will use my Hotmail address as it was destroyed with spam many years ago and is now not used for anything else.
The time that the Plus Net email addresses were leaked, mine thankfully was not affected. However another mailbox I had set up on my Plus Net account was destroyed. Luckily it was only used to forward mail through from a seperate domain name so I was able to change the Plus Net mailbox without changing the actual email address.
mentalist3d
Grafter

I use a second account as well for sites that I'm not sure about, thank god for free email providers  Smiley
I'm new to PlusNet and never realised that the addresses had ever been leaked, hopefully it wont happen again
seanbranagh
Grafter

It was a security breach a while back that Plus Net apologized profusely for.
mentalist3d
Grafter

Free internet for a month for everyone affected would have made a much better apology  Smiley
James
Grafter

We offered everyone a free domain...
pierre_pierre
Grafter

A free .uk or .me domain, mine is now a very good one just christiansurname.me.uk  , the PN e-mail and browser recognize the new and old name and go to the same address,  the Web stats list old and new on different.
That was only to the people affected by the Address Book Hacking
Not applicable

The security breach was rather alarming at the time, but a nice spin-off was getting the free domain names.
I managed to get a really nice one (to me) and was glad of it because I didn't like my username one at all.
Using the alias facility and being very, very careful I haven't had any significant spam since then (touch wood).
Just had a bit a few months ago  - it was a problem with the catchall setting on my mailbox. It seemed to switch itself back on very briefly  but PN fixed it immediately.