cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New self-build specs

Mav
Fixes: 514

New self-build specs

With my current MB playing up (problems with some USB sockets + other things) I have decided to replace it.
Seeing as my old one is a few years old and new DDR2 MBs ae harder to come by I've decided to upgrade almost everything.
I'll keep the current 4 internal HDDs and the 750W PSU but am thinking of the following components:
MB M5A99X Evo
CPU AMD FX 6-Core Black Edition FX-6100
RAM Corsair CMSO8GX3M2A1333C9 RAM Module - 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) - DDR3 SDRAM - 1333 MHz
GPU ASUS EAH6770 DC/2DI/1GD5
SSD OCZ Agility 3 60GB 2.5" SATA-III Solid State Hard Drive
I have wondered whether AMD FX-4100 CPU would be just as good at around £20 cheaper albeit only 4 cores and not 6. And whether the GPU is overkill or not. I don't game but I do a lot of video and photo editing.
I've yet to choose a case.
I'd appreciate any comments plus any views on suitable cases. I'm not woried about how quiet it can be but my budget is now limited to around £50.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

23 REPLIES 23
paulpicks21
Grafter

Re: New self-build specs

Hi there,
The Antec 100 has had very good reviews since it came out and is very reasonably priced. You can read a review on it here - http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2011/02/28/antec-one-hundred-review/1
Ram wise, there is loads of really great 1600mhz stuff out there at the moment, I would go for something like this - http://www.ebuyer.com/274035-corsair-8gb-2x4gb-ddr3-1600mhz-low-profile-vengeance-memory-kit-cl9-cml...

Paul.
Mav

Thanks, Paul.
The Antec 100 seems to have good reviews and is less than £35 on Dabs. Just not too sure if I like the look of it at present.
But, then again, me & SWMBO disagree on what sort of case I should go for...
I quite like the Zalman Z9 Computer Case she likes Antec Sonata Proto Quiet Mid Tower Case.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I realise that you don't want an expensive case but what you will need is a case with very good ventilation to dissipate the heat you will be generating
That is why I went for the Akasa Eclipse 62 which is unfortunately no longer available but you should look for at least 2 120mm fans
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

What OS are you intending to use? Remember 32bit XP/7 only supports 3.5GB ram. You will need a 64bit OS to utilise the whole 8GB.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

well if you really want a nice looking case  Wink
http://www.million-dollar-pc.com/systems-2011/murderbox-mk2/murderbox-mk2.htm.
bit more than £50  Smiley
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
paulpicks21
Grafter

Tbh if you are not going to be overclocking the CPU or putting 2 Graphics cards in then most Mid tower cases will do the job just fine.
I agree with Oldjim on the fans, the more the better, ideally as a minimum one at the front and one at the back, but a top one is also useful. Fans can be added to near enough any mid tower case and are inexpensive.
I am still using a budget mid tower case on my main pc, the case itself only cost around £30, It came with a front 120mm fan, I added a rear 120mm, top 140mm and a side 100mm. It does an excellent job keeping my parts cool. (i7 2600k, Asus P8P67 evo, 8gb G.skill ripjawsx 2133mhz ram, GTX 560ti, Crucial M4 ssd etc.)
Paul.
Mav

Quote from: Peter
What OS are you intending to use?

W7 64
@oldjim I've seen quite a few with two or more 120mm fans. I've actually got a couple of spare fans of that size along with a few HDD fans.
@ rongtw Now that's cool - probably in more ways than one Smiley
Edit: @paul No, I shan't be overclocking and certainly have no need for two GPUs.

paulpicks21
Grafter

Also, I did already mention what ram I thought you should go for.
But please do not buy the ram you have listed at play.com. Its for laptops and will not fit a PC.

Edited to add - Re Graphics, the FX series of CPU's do not come with onboard graphics so unless you have a Graphics card you can use from your old system then you will need to buy one.

Paul.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

A faulty hard drive can have a debilitating effect on computer performance without it being obvious what is causing the problem.  Can you not rationalise your four internal hard drives down to a smaller number to reduce the risk?
I think the graphics card is almost certainly overkill for a non-gamer.
You say you're not worried about how quiet it is but fans make noise, lots of fans make lots of noise.  The computers you buy off-the-shelf are pretty quiet these days; one with lots of fans roaring away may sound old-fashioned despite all your brand new hardware.   

Mav

@Paul not sure how I missed the SODIMM part on that page.
Anyway, I liked the link you sent bout the faster RAM from ebuyer so shall be getting that.
I did list a graphics card in my OP which ReedRichards has commented will be overkill. My current system has an ATI Radeon 4850.
@ReedRichards I understand what you are saying but prefer to keep the drives as they are due to the differing uses, viz. programmes, data storage, video editing files and video editing tools.
My current system makes a fair bit of noise and I am used to it.
Out of interest, what GPU would you recommend? I'm looking for an ATI that offers OpenCL (that appears to be from HD5xx upwards) to take advantage of GPU rendering.
I've never mixed an AMD processor with a nvidia CUDA enabled GPU before but maybe I'll look at those also for GPU rendering.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

As a tightwad ex-Yorkie....... how often will you be looking at the case? if it goes on the floor, under the computer desk, then I doubt it will be "looked at/admired " or feature in many "style" magazine photos of your house, so why spend "loads a money", on the case.... save that for something "extra" on your "innards"...... Wink
Mav

Yes - beginning to agree with you, there, shutter but partly to placate SWMBO Cheesy
Leaning towards Cooloer Master Elite 334U (less than £34 from Aria but will need to get two or three 120mm fans (it can take 4). These are reasonably piced but reviews say they are noisy. Any suggestions?

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'd have thought at 1350rpm they won't be too bad, but you can pick up fan controllers fairly cheaply (the main noise will come if they all start vibrating in synchronisation, which the fan controller will help with as you can adjust the rpm of each fan independently).
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/akasa-gloss-black-35-speed-control-for-3-fans-and-2-usb-20-ports
Just something to think about if it does get a bit noisy, you'll probably be fine though.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Quote from: Mav
Yes - beginning to agree with you, there, shutter but partly to placate SWMBO Cheesy
. Any suggestions?

How about getting the cheapest tin box you can, and then giving her the chance to "decorate" it.... (at her cost! ! )  Cheesy