Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New router wireless speed

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

New router wireless speed

My old Plusnet ADSL router TG582n has been wirelessly flawless for 18 months.
Recently upgraded to the same model, same location, but fibre router, and I'm having wireless issues.
Various devices are reported dropouts and when I use the Android WiFi Analyser the signal strength is continually fluctuating from -22db to -70db when the devices start disconnecting. Placing both an Android and iPad right next to the router solves the issue but obviously not workable.
If I activate 2 TP-Link range extenders, one in the same room, they make things worse as the devices still seem to stay locked on to the router signal.
Any ideas ?
Let's be careful out there !
8 REPLIES 8
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Re: New router wireless speed

Question for the experts:
Could I get some dual band powerline devices and turn off the 2.4khz router wireless so my devices could connect at 5khz?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes.
What you are suggesting is likely to give much better results than hoping for a wireless router optimally located next to the telephone master socket to give good wireless coverage.
However, while there is nothing wrong with integrated wireless extender homeplugs, you might also want to consider using simpler ethernet only homeplugs and then attach a stand alone ethernet Wireless Access Point, to achieve the same result.
There are a number of benefits to this -

• Non-wireless homeplugs are much cheaper than the wireless ones.

• The ordinary homeplugs can also be used to extend your ethernet connections by adding a cheap switch.

• Stand-alone Wireless Access Points are likely to have better performance and more features than a WiFi homeplug.

• Some wireless homeplugs don't fully support all ICMP types, so pings and traceroutes may not work.

• A Wireless Access Point can be optimally located, and turned for best range, whereas a homeplug is fixed to the wall socket.

• Wireless Access Points, are easier to impose time restrictions and filtering (for guests and children).

• Using a separate wireless device allows for future upgrading without scrapping the entire integrated homeplug.

Wink
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Thanks
I've just spotted the BT dual band wifi kit 600, not the extender kit. I'm hoping I can plug the kit into an existing powerline that is high up in the room linked to a security camera. That hopfully will give me a better signal.
According to inSSIDer my area is flooded with 2.4 signals but a dozen or so free 5 .0 channels.
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

BT kit installed and was a breeze.
WiFi Analyser showing I am the only person in my area on 5G and it has auto selected channel 36. All devices connected OK (Samsung Tab 4, iPad mini and HTC One). Signal strength now in the green all over the house.
I think my problem was that my router is down near the floor, next to the BT modem and near a DECT cordless phone setup due to it all surrounding the master socket. BT kit is up on top of a cupboard, near the ceiling, and all on its lonesome.
Proper Job !
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

That's the one, the latest 600 model.
http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-dual-band-wi-fi-600-kit-8W47.html
For the first time since we got the new fibre router the daughters iPad Mini has run with 3 out of 3 bars all evening. The old ADSL Technicolor was fine so it looks like not all of these routers have a good WiFi transmitter hence the good and bad reports we see here.
What amazes me is that in the 2.4 spectrum WiFi Analyser and InSSIDer are showing 30 odd local devices all fighting for channels between 1 and 13. In the 5ghz spectrum I'm the only one showing across all channels.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The 5GHz band is supposed to have shorter range than the 2.4GHz band, so that may be the reason you don't detect any other networks on the 5GHz band. If you can spot any BTHub4 or BTHub5 SSIDs, those are dual-band devices so probably are using the 5GHz band. It's just that their 2.4GHz transmissions travel further.
The FTTC 582n should have had the same wireless performance as the ADSL 582n. It's possible to install the 10.2.5.2 FTTC firmware on an ADSL 582n even if it's one that doesn't have a USB port. I assume the ADSL 582n doesn't have a USB port but the FTTC one does? Also did the ADSL 582n have anything connected to its LAN ports? I think there was one strange wireless problem thread in which the wireless performance of a 582n seemed to be affected depending on if things were plugged into its Ethernet sockets or not.
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Interesting.
I'm using the same ethernet setup as before with:
1) Powerline master
2) CAT6 to PC
3) CAT6 to Sony TV
4) Is now the BT modem, was previously unused
So far the 600 is working flawlessly and I've connected a Samsung TV in an upstairs bedroom, not above the 600 unit, without issue.
There is one BTHub5 in the 2.4 list but loads of BTWifi-x and plain BTHomeHub-xxx
The thing that intrigues me now is that if I change the 600 SSID and password to match the router, will wifi devices switch between 2.4 and 5g to get the best signal?