cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New modem/Router purchase contemplated.- Any ideas anyone ?

dabow
Rising Star

New modem/Router purchase contemplated.- Any ideas anyone ?

FIRST.
Apologies in advance, this is the first time on Community! Hope to get the hang of it !
QUESTION.
I am thinking of replacing my Voyager 105 sometime soon, with a wired modem/router on the lines of  e.g. Linksys AG241 or AM200, or Netgear DG834 or similar. Anyone got any recommendations ,comments, positive or negative about  these ? Would appreciate any experienced feedback.
20 REPLIES 20
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: New modem/Router purchase contemplated.- Any ideas anyone ?

No brainer from your list... Netgear.
Are you aware of the free* routers that PN are offering if you switch to one of the new BBYW products. This may be an option to consider.
*as long as you stay for 12 months
dabow
Rising Star

Thanks to Peter and to PJ for taking the trouble to answer ,all points will be noted.I am on Option 1 since I am a "light" user but will look into it.
Everyone seems to be pushing wireless these days.
I personally don't need it  since I'm almost sitting on the BT
master socket !  I need a self powered modem so that I can leave it on  without the computer necessarily being powered up , as is the case at present.
dabow
Rising Star

Thanks PJ for that information, that sounds very enticing, I'll look into it.
Has that  particular unit got a decent reputation for performance ,reliability etc ?
I'll have a search round for further info.
Thanks again.
James
Grafter

Hi Dabow,
I've not seen any negative reports regarding the Voyager 210.  It seems to do exactly what it says on the tin.
lingbob
Grafter

I've found the Voyager 210 to be excellent and I'm now using it in preference to my Netgear DG834. One thing I ought to mention though is that I've found (in my case) that it works much better with interleaving turned ON.
Currently, it's gone for almost 10 days without a single re-sync  Grin
Regards .....
dabow
Rising Star

Thanks to "Jameseh"and "roadrunner" for the positive and encouraging feedback,it is very welcome.
It looks as though the Voyager 210 ,hopefully "free" from PlusNet will be the way for me to go.
I will temporarily delay the activation  of the change since I am  presently in discussion with the PlusNet Team via a still open question/ticket ( ID 23172879) -presently stalled a bit-concerning a steady degredation in my sync speed and lowered IP profile,self caused I suspect,by my excessive switching/rebooting of my computer and therefore modem,over the past few months.
I would like to clear that up before progressing.
Thanks again to all for the info. and encouragement.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Looking at the ticket, the information that you have been given is pretty sound.
It is possible, if not probable that your synchronisation speeds would in fact be more stable using a router as opposed to a USB modem, as there would be fewer instances of restarting the connection.  If you're doing this multiple times on a daily basis, then BT could be led to believe that there was a period of instability, thus forcing a lower connection speed.
I'd expect to see additional stability when using a router, causing you to see more sustained periods of higher throughput.
dabow
Rising Star

To "Jameseh"
Thankyou James for your reply and your diligence by observing my outstanding ticket.
You are quite correct about the accuracy of the info. given by TheTeam. At one point ,I was not clear as to the actions involved in getting speeds and profiles restored, I incorrectly thought that some "manual" request was possibly needed when I saw the sync.speed almost instantly rise to 7360k after one day of constant modem connection,followed by no rise in the IP profile for about the next 4 days.I was concerned that nothing was going to happen to correct the "self inflicted" damage I caused by power cycling the modem too often.
The automatic readjustment is now happening,I'm pleased to see, from the exhange DLM system,perhaps a little slower than seemed to be standard.
It is important that these points are explained simply to us "incognizantii" otherwise we are left in the dark.
I must thank you again ,and also the other Team members, who have taken extra time to spell out the fineries of these systems actions to full satisfaction. Cheers for the excellent service.
David Bowers
community
Grafter

Quote from: PJ
Apparently one computer can be connected by USB, as well as the primary ethernet connection, should you have the need to occasionally connect a second computer.

It may be that you have answered me a question I have just threaded!
I have just installed the Free Plusnet Router and connected via ethernet to the main PC.
Wow, what an increase of speed!
I wanted to connect also my second PC but it has only USB.
This means that I can connect from a network hub (?) using both USB and ethernet connections at the same time???????
I presume I need a Network Hub? If yes, can Plusnet supply?
cheers
community
Grafter

Thanks PJ
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: community

I presume I need a Network Hub? If yes, can Plusnet supply?

You will be better off with a switch rather than a hub - does the same job but better  Smiley Network switches can be bought very cheaply from places like Dabs, Ebuyer, Amazon etc.
dabow
Rising Star

Modem search etc. update.
I have received a Voyager 210 from PlusNet,very speedy service, and it seems to be working well.
Sync speed=7616k
IP =6000k
Thro. =5416k
I hope to see the IP rise eventually to higher oringinally obtained value.
Being new to the device ,a couple of things seem slightly odd to me, I wonder if anyone familiar with it can shed any light.
(Ethernet connection)
1. When the computer is completely powered down the "Internet" light stays on (+ Power and DSL lights of course). Is this normal ?
2. Is there any way of "switching" the Internet connection off when in normal usage ? I have tried to do a "disconnect" using the "button"  in the Quick Start part of the menu in the Configuration Manager,but it seems only to disconnect it momentarily (light goes off for a few seconds) then its back on and so is the connection
Any comments will be welcome.
David Bowers
dabow
Rising Star

Thanks for the comments.
The button on the rear of this Voyager 210 is the power switch ,which would of course disconnect from the internet totally. I don't want to cycle the power on and off since it was effectively that action with the previous modem (Voyager 105,USB driven and powered),that caused my demise in reducing the download speed and prompting me to use a self powered type,the210, that I can leave on.
I'll investigate the "button" in the config. manager further.
dabow
Rising Star

Comments noted PJ ,thanks.
My long term observation of my previous operations seem to suggest that a couple of power cyclings a day,albeit with the system totally powered down the remainder of time,caused ,over a period of a few months ,a reduction from a sync.rate of 8.1M down to 6.1/6.3M. with an attendant lowering of profile.
I shall avoid that now ,I shall be able to switch off the computer in confidence ! (saving about 60watts - the 210 modem is about 8w.)